Which phrase is correct

As is usually the start for most of my posts these days, the Wifey and I were watching TV and passing back and forth the usual chatter that makes up our evening fun :slight_smile:

I saw a commercial for a horrible new show on FOX called BOOT CAMP and I said “The BLOOM is off the rose for reality TV shows.”

She said the phrase is “The BLUSH is off the rose”

Well, the bickering led to the NET, and with no usefult results, I come, once again, to the teeming millions.

Please help. There is an expensive McDonald’s lunch riding on this.

Thanks

BLOOM is correct, says Braindoggy as he BLUSHes and turns to quietly slink from the room so as not to actually involve himself in the domestic melee that will follow.

Completely unscientific, but a search in Google for “bloom is off the rose” as a phrase gives 1030 hits. A similar search for “blush is off the rose” gives 42 hits. So the more popular usage is “bloom”.

Of course, “blush” could be correct if there is an original source floating around out there. I had no luck finding anything about the origins of this phrase anywhere though. Maybe because it’s so obvious?

THIS site indicates that they traced the phrase blush is off the peach to a 16th Centruy play, but could find no origin for the bloom/rose phrase.

Bloom 1340, blush 68 for me. However, this may well be a case of the educated minority knowing and the teeming masses not knowing. Millenium, anyone?:slight_smile:

Being quite a landscaper I would have to say that when you have a rose bush, aka ‘rose’, & the blossom (bloom) falls off, then indeed the bloom has fallen off the rose.

So both are right. e.g Websters:
1 a : any of a genus (Rosa of the family Rosaceae, the rose family) of usually prickly shrubs with pinnate leaves and showy flowers having five petals in the wild state but being often double or partly double under cultivation b : the flower of a rose.

Using handy’s guide to phrases, one could have opined, “The freakin’ whole end of the rose ain’t freakin’ there no more, dude.”

But then, how would poetry have survived to this day? :rolleyes:

Only 8000+ posts to go, and gaining…

iampunha, I daresay you neglected to instruct Google to forcibly include the “is” in the phrase by prefixing it with a plus sign.