Which was the best year out since 2000

I think most people can agree that 2020 sucks (at least so far). But my question is: which year, out of the last 20, has been overall the best?

The one that comes to mind for me is 2014. Gay marriage legalized and the US had a well-respected president.

What say you?

It’s all been kind of a mixed bag IMHO.

I was very excited to graduate business school in 2001 and start my new job with a top tier management consulting firm in their offices in lower Manhattan on 9/10/2001.

2004 to 2007 were pretty good years for me. I was enjoying a period of professional success and Wolf of Wall Street levels of debauchery. 2012-2017 were pretty good for me as well. Decided to get married and have 2 kids. Was doing well professionally.

Heck, the past year was really great up until around March

There was that EPIC year of snowfall up on the slopes…

2012 was a pretty good year. Apologies to all for Superstorm Sandy. I got a new job, moved to Chicago,
Obama won, good Olympics and mild winter.

2006 was a contender. I got back from Iraq in one piece, flew to Denver for work, and met my girl (who drove up from Santa Fe).

When I pulled onto I-25, I heard what sounded like a new song on the radio by Wayne Hancock, which turned out to be “Tulsa”.

Some things have gotten better since then, some worse. No complaints.

Every single year has been a good one for the wife and me. Honestly, even this year has been good to us, we’re weathering the storm with aplomb.

People were saying every year since 2010 has been the worst year ever unironically.

I would say 2009 simply because the Obama high hadn’t really left yet and that was before the worst year ever of 2010.

1. Plane fares amazingly cheap, and I felt liberated starting to use a white cane. So I went around the world a couple times, to every continent, filling in 25 countries I’d never been to. Good-bye, bucket list.

I’ll go with 2000* itself. The Cold War was an increasingly distant memory, the Internet boom was still in full swing, we had full employment, and the prosperity from the boom was widely shared, with full employment resulting in higher pay, up and down the ladder.

It even created the illusion that it didn’t really matter who was President because the country could more or less run itself. (I want to go back in time and have a word with the people who actively pushed that notion.)
*Or if you’re going to quibble that the first 5.5 months of 2000 are more than 20 years ago, I’ll go with the year from 6/14/2000 to 6/14/2001. Close enough.

And of course, that was pre-9/11, pre-GWOT.

Three of our 4 grands were born after 2000 so imho, each of those years were the best.