Which washed-up/has-been bands have played in YOUR city lately?

Actually Lawrence Gowan has been with Styx for a couple of years now (since late '99 I believe).

At let me just say, the guy is incredible talented! I remember watching a concert of Styx on the House of Blues website a while back (for the Brave New World Tour) and being blown away by the guy! He has this really cool piano encased in a steel frame, supported by a thick pole. He jumps onto top of it during several songs, while singing. Pretty cool. Damn good singer too!

I havn’t heard their new album, but “A Brave New World” was pretty good IMHO.

Dennis DeYoung? Who needs Dennis DeYoung when you have Lawrence Gowan! :wink:

Minor addition: It’s an electric piano. He spins it around too. Dunno why, but I really like that. Great showman Mr. Gowan is. :wink:

Dennis DeYoung recently played in Chicago, singing Styx songs, solo songs, and some songs he’d written for a Broadway musical that he’s trying to get off the ground. His performance included backing by the Chicago Children’s Choir and an orchestra (forget which), and the review I read in the Tribune was surprisingly good.

REO Speedwagon coming to Council Bluffs, Iowa in May!!! Were they EVER not “washed up”?

Some time back, Rick Springfield came to this area. There was an article in the paper about these chicks who used to be cheerleaders when “Jessie’s Girl” was popular, and they had a dance routine for it. So, the now mid-30’s trio got together, got out their old cheerleading outfits, and recreated the dance routine. When Springfield put on his show, they rushed the stage in their cheerleading outfits and did the dance, complete with shaky pom poms and kick steps.

Whenever I think I may live in the past too much, I think of this story and feel better.

Yeah, I know Larry Gowan had quite the nice career for himself before Styx. The way you said Gowan bernse it sounded like he did a solo show, which would be surprising since he’s been with Styx since 1998 or so. Then again, if you’re in Canada maybe he did play a solo show.

For those who don’t know and might care, he opened for Styx in 1997 when they did their Canada shows on the Grand Illusion 20th anniversary tour. When Dennis left/got kicked out/whatever, they turned to Larry to replace him. They knew him both as a musician and as a person and they knew he’d mesh well with the band on all levels.

I love him in Styx - he is, as was already said, a great performer. I have a lovely photo with me in between him and Todd Sucherman (the drummer now that John P. passed on). I treasure it, fangirl that I am. :smiley: Go on and check them out if they come by your hometown, its a great show. If you’re REALLY lucky the triple play will come your way - Journey, Styx & REO. I’m not a fan of REO but Journey & Styx together gets me all happy. They’re all together for only 40 cities (I think) so you might not have that bill come near you.

I also heard that Dennis show was very good - and it was recorded for a live album. I’m happy he’s off doing his own thing, its obvious he and the rest of the band were moving in really different directions. He doesn’t even play the piano anymore when he performs, which to me is very sad. I love his voice but I also love his playing, I’d want to see that! Anyhow, he can do his show tunes and orchestral things, Styx can do the rock shows, and us fans can go see both and have the best of both worlds.

You know, I would go see a Styx show without Dennis DeYoung in a heartbeat. Hell, I think Lawrence Gowan is better than Dennis DeYoung! However, you couldn’t drag me to see a free Journey show without Steve Perry! If you gave me $50 dollars and a case of Sam Adams, I still wouldn’t go! Same thing applies to Chicago without Peter Cetera! It’s just not right!

Me too, please. Emails in the profile.

We used to get the Great White, Saga, Journey, Eddie Money, Edgar Winter, Foghat types around here fairly regularly. Blackfoot and Wet Willie used to play here about three times a year.

In more recent times the nearby Alabama Music Hall of Fame has been scheduling concerts that appeal to the biker types (or the wannabes) to coincide with the annual Trail of Tears Motorcycle ride. We got Lynyrd Skynyrd not long after the most recent death of an original member, can’t remember which one. We got John Kay and Steppenwolf last year I think.

Before the AMHOF started their concerts, the Trail of Tears organizers would schedule a mini-concert at the end of the ride with some of the minor “celebrities” who would ride in it. One year they got Nelson!

Can I get in on that “oldest groupie pix” action?