Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, and Celine Dion

yea i hear mariah carey can sing like 5 octaves or something… sometimes she abuses it… it truly hurts my ears when she’s doing her high pitches.

You obviously haven’t followed the career of MC for a couple of years. Phoenix ASF. Her latest album is getting serious attention from the hip-hop community and has gotten favorable reviews. After the divorce, burnout and the fiasco with Glitter she seems to try making music that she, not Mottola, likes.
N.B. It’s not music I like, neither before, nor after the crash.

As a singer I get annoyed when I hear people of unkown talent rip on people who obviously have an enormous amount of talent and demonstrated sucess in a public forum like this.

Fine, you don’t like the three, that’s your choice, but why beat up on them in public?

The way to earn the right to cut them down in public is to out sing them.

That’s my 2 cents worth.

I’ve got a great trained singing voice, and I can’t touch the skill of those three and I know it. That’s because I have training and I know how many hours of work and effort it took them to get there.

Anyone who thinks any differently is deluding themselves.

A certain amount of singing talent is a gift.

But then you have to put in thousands of hours of training to get to their level.

Period.

Sorry to be a pill.

Peter

Oh, once you get there, you’ve earned the right to sing what you like.

Does one have to be fully trained before one can say they like a certain artist as well? I’ve never understood the sentiment that one can’t criticize art unless one can produce better.

Isn’t there an article in the Geneva Conventions regarding forcing people to listen to Patsy Cline?

Her archetypal country ‘n’ western wailing warble is anathema to these ears, and I like Geddy Lee. I wish I could sing so well. But if you were to put a gun to my head and ask me to name my favourite Patsy Cline song, I’d reply “Well, it was a short life, but a good one. Can’t we talk about Kate Bush instead?”

It’s a waste to talk about Kate in a thread with a Subject Line of Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, and Celine Dion. Nothing against them, they’ve made their choices and I don’t have to listen to them so they’re non-entities to me.

Kate deserves better though, since most people who’d like Kate would never ever click on a thread with this Subject Line.

But then, I guess I just did, didn’t I? Well, the OP on hover was interesting. That’s my excuse.

What would be worth them singing, in your opinion?

Oh, that’s a bunch of crap. You don’t have to be a painter to not like Thomas Kinkade, and you don’t have to be a singer to think Celine Dion or Whitney Houston suck. Art (which includes music, literature, film, etc.) is completely subjective, and you don’t have to understand where the artist is coming from or be on their same level skill-wise to dislike it and say so. I’m a pretty good saxophone player who hates Kenny G, but guess what, I’d hate him and make a point of saying so even if I never picked up a horn for myself. I’m a crummy singer, but I hate Celine Dion and I have every right to say so just because I’ve been exposed to her overblown warbling and I know what I like and what I don’t.

Personally, I thought that Mariah’s first album was very very good. She wrote most, if not all, of the material, produced it, and had something like 7 number one hits. Not too bad for a 21 year old. There was some very strong material on there that didn’t sound like dime a dozen pop. I really had high hopes for her, not as a commercial success but as a true artist. Motolla ruined her artistry. Sure, she went on to make oodles of money and such but once she stopped writing her own material, I totally lost interest. She sold out.

Really, that first album is sooo much better than anything else she ever did.

As I have said multiple times in this thread, I think these three ladies ARE PHENOMENAL SINGERS. I don’t, however, think they choose songs to record that are fitting for their calibre of talent, and that seems like a huge waste to me. Any old Kelly Clarkson can sing the stuff these three sing; it doesn’t take a booming set of pipes with hair-fine control.

What would I like to see them singing? Something interesting; something that isn’t about how much they loo-ooooove some guy, or how much they miiii-iiiiiss some guy. I don’t know; I’m no song-writer, but I do know there are a whole lot of people making interesting music, so it is possible.

As for your second point, I agree - at this point, these three should be able to sing what they like, and they still keep pumping out artistically-vacant, commercial crap. I’ve heard some releases from Mariah’s latest album - instantly forgettable.

(Club 33, my husband would totally agree with you.)

Yes, yes, she did. I remember back when the Whitney version came out, a bunch of my co-workers were standing around talking about how talented she was to have written that song. :eek: Don’t worry, I set 'em straight!

That’s what I was going to say. haha. I like Whitney’s singing, but I agree that she’s wasting her talent by being a dumbass.

One thing I will say about Mariah Carrey is that she has some very good music videos. One that comes to mind is when she is in a movie theatre bathroom having a fight with some girl who was apparantly on a date with Mariah’s boyfriend. What made the fight funny was that both Mariah and the man-stealing girl were played by Mariah. For the other girl, she was wearing a wig, and they’d have a stunt double for whichever one wasn’t in focus at any given point during the fight. Funny video.

Celine Dion’s last video was an Air Canada commercial. Her song was also an Air Canada commercial. I rest my case.

Such as?

I mean, they could be singing such brilliant lyrics as:
When will I love you? Good lord, I don’t know
Maybe never, maybe tomorrow.
But not today, that’s certain
If you don’t love me, if you don’t love me, I love you.
If I love you if I love you, keep guard on yourself.

but perhaps it makes it ok if the inanity is in French. Seriously, what songs should they sing other than love songs?

Uh, interesting songs? They exist. There are millions of them to choose from.

Since there are millions to choose from, why won’t you list 10 of them?

“Night of the Swallow” - Kate Bush

“San Jacinto” - Peter Gabriel

“The Chariot” - Happy Rhodes

“The White Tent The Raft” - Jane Siberry

“The Flow” - Ashley Maher

“Spiderdust” - Bel Canto

“Falling From Grace” - Marianne Faithfull

“Human Behavior” - Bjork

“The Blacksmith” - Eddi Reader

“Children of the Revolution” - Kirsty MacColl

“Summer of Drugs” - Victoria Williams

That’s more than 10, but I could go on. I could spend a few hours and list just what’s on my current 5000+ Winamp playlist, and they’d all be more interesting than anything those 3 have sung. I’m not saying they’re not insanely talented. They are. They have voices that are a-freaking-mazing, God’s own gift, but they use those voices to sing bland, forgettable songs.

Anytime you want to hear any of those songs, let me know. I’m thinking of starting a music blog.

Mariah is a waste because she has an incredible voice that she is throwing away on substandard hiphop fare.

Whitney is so much of a waste that it’s practically a tragedy. I may not like her music, but I’d be an idiot not to see the talent there. She has spent the time since she married Bobby Brown on a very public downward spiral that even Courtney Love is envious of.

Celine did that song from Titanic which shall not be named. For that she will burn in hell for eternity, much like her song will play in hell for eternity.