Who do the Democrats run in 2020?

2020? Beats me. 2024? Pretty much anything. A stuffed cadaver will suffice. The economy will be swirling the drain and everyone who voted for Donathan will be apathetic and eventually tired of not having a job or health care, no matter how many guns they stockpile. Dang it, that was supposed to work!

Not so far, but she will have been if she runs.

Yes. I’ve just been reading up on him (he’s from my home state), and just check out this paragraph from Wikipedia:

THIS is the kind of guy who should be setting us an example.

Chelsea Clinton: she’s 36 now.

According to this video the next president will be Lisa Simpson.

It won’t be Hilary again. Although she would (should) have been running for a second term in 2020, she’ll be way too old for a first term. Kaine has his foot in the door, and I don’t see anyone else besides him right now.

Actor Mark Ruffalo. This loudmouth has been getting a lot press lately. Maybe Matt Damon. I would support him just so he doesn’t anymore lousy movies.

Oh, and maybe Joe Biden too.

Julian Castro or Martin O’Malley.

Joe Manchin or Jay Nixon. If Trump takes a hit in Appalachia when the coal and manufacturing jobs don’t come back, he’s kind of in a lot of trouble. Reagan was the Sunbelt President, Clinton was the New South President, Dubya the Southern President, and Trump the Appalachia President. Yes I know they’ve had some issues with the Democratic base, but the Democrats do need to reach out to voters outside their current base.

Jon Bel Edwards too; Louisiana wasn’t as bad for HRC as other Southern states were, and it did go for Bill Clinton, the second time in a landslide. The '90s will by 30 years back by then, but its still some precedent.

Actually I’ve heard he IS kind of a dick off-camera. :frowning:

@Hermione: If you really want to like Corey Booker, watch Street Fight.

Mark Ruffalo would be perfect. If Congress ever made him angry, POTUS SMASH!

Yes, run Hillary! The fact that she will be incarcerated at the time will only make her MORE attractive to her Democrat sycophants.

I would add to the Corey Booker contingent if I wasn’t afraid that being black would hurt him among those who figure they’ve done their job in proving they are not racist by electing Obama. He has executive and legislative experience, he’s super smart (Stanford undergrad, Yale Law and a Rhodes Scholar) and he has charisma. Also, as noted above, he does badass things like opening the mayor’s residence after Sandy and providing random constituents with free food and wifi as well as running into a freaking burning building to save somebody. I would love to see Booker/Duckworth on a ticket.

The advantage of Booker is that he probably can bring the Obama coalition back to the polls. African-Americans are now critical to Democrats’ chances of winning, so going with black candidates to bring them out isn’t the worst idea in the world. Booker also has more experience and I think has better instincts than Obama, so he’d probably do more to secure the Democrats’ future.

But really, I hope most of the other suggestions are jokes, although there were a few that weren’t bad(Tyson, Cuban).

But this isn’t actually rocket science. A good Presidential candidate will have the following traits:

1. He or she will be likeable
  2. Will not have any known baggage. All candidates get attacked, and there’s always some dirt somewhere, but it’s easier for a fresh face to get the benefit of the doubt than someone who starts off running with a cloud of suspicion over their heads.
  3. Has real accomplishments, is experienced enough to be a plausible President
  4. Is ideologically compatible with the voters he or she has to rely on. For most Democrats, that will be swing voters, such as union voters, Catholics, and suburban moms.

There’s no need to worry about speaking ability or name recognition. Once a candidate is nominated, everyone will know his or her name, and lots of clumsy speakers have been elected President. They don’t all have to be Reagan or Obama.

and for all that is good and holy, no dynasties! A dynastic candidate should have to clear a very high bar to be considered. In practice, all it’s taken is the name and their worthiness is assumed. I’d advocate the opposite. If someone is a Kennedy, a Bush, a Clinton, or an Obama, their resume should be so sterling that it can’t be denied by anyone who is being honest and reasonable. There are currently zero members of those families that meet that standard. That goes for Ivanka too.

I’ve not heard of Trumka but, as much as I’m in favor of unions in general, I’ll be very surprised if anyone makes it to the top of the AFL-CIO without acquiring a closet full of skeletons.

Eh, I believe he’s from the public sector unions. Public sector unions have their problems, but don’t have the history of being affiliated with organized crime the way the private sector unions did.

But Trumka is a big no anyway. There have been far more consequential organized labor leaders and they’ve never really been seen as a good fit for public office.

Not anyone significantly associated with the Clintons. Not Tim Kaine, not Chelsea Clinton. I like the recommendations that we not forget about the 2018 midterm. The key for Democrats, and the biggest problem they have had recently, was the assumption that they could focus on the presidency and ignore down ballot races. We can’t afford to do that anymore. I like several of the other suggestions, but whoever it ends up being should go through a tough primary, not a coronation. I suppose all this means we need a better DNC head, someone that looks out for the Democratic Party, not one particular candidate. Reince Priebus didn’t put his weight behind Jeb, why did Debbie Wasserman Shultz favor Clinton?

Yes, I got off track, but I do place some of the blame on Wasserman Schultz. She was a terrible head of the DNC :mad:

For a far-too-early pick, Bernie Sanders. Don’t care how old he is. With Tulsi Gabbard as VP. Go right at those rust-belt voters who swung the election.

I reserve the right to change my mind multiple times.

I think we’ve all just played witness to the fact that skeletons don’t much matter anymore, even if the candidate actually wears them around his neck like Mr. T. And I’d imagine (though obviously don’t know for sure), most anything that could be perceived as a “skeleton” comes from Trumka’s fight for working families, and could be likely framed as such. And while I’m not saying you’re necessarily wrong, this isn’t a low- or mid-level labor leader, there’s a reason he rose to the top of the AFL. The members unions are careful about who they put out there to represent them.

And seriously, everyone’s got potential skeletons. If we’re scratching people off the list for that, we’re never going to have a list.

If you read my post or the link, you’d see he’s from the Mine Workers.

We have never been in this political environment before. Plus, there have been far more qualified business people and even TV personalities, yet Trump is the guy America just elected. Because he is the guy that rural, blue-collar, non-college-educated America flocked to.

If we’re talking about the Democratic party becoming too “elite,” abandoning the working class, and losing blue collar, rural, union and non-college educated voters, especially in the rust belt, well my argument to win them back is Trumka. He is a union guy, a progressive, pro-immigration reform, actually came out of the mines to rise through the ranks of his union, he’s as anti-free trade as they come, and he’s from the rustbelt. And while he’s been in elected office for many years, it’s not PUBLIC elected office, so he understands politics, but he’s still able to frame himself as an “outsider,” which is apparently a positive quality to a sizable portion of our population. He’s also a pretty fiery public speaker, and knows how to connect to groups emotionally-- something that Trump did, Obama did, Bill Clinton did, Reagan did, but Hillary and Kerry were never able to do and it cost them.