Who do the Democrats run in 2020?

I think the person to groom is Kamala Harris. Female, multi-cultural, “black”, former Attorney-General (for the law and order lovers), and consistently successful in politics. She’s a natural.

She’s also in a wheelchair. Just look at FDR! cough I’m going to hell now, ain’t I?

Jimmy Carter could still get another term if he can, but that would be reaching over the back for democrats. Most improbable, but not impossible. I say +1 for Tammy Duckworth.

What? A millionaire with a tendency to spout the most random nonsense and his own reality show? Don’t be silly.

Actually, he would be my choice.
Young, earnest, smart, hard-working, and a “people person.”

Booker and Castro?

Somebody and Warren?

I’m assuming that the country goes to shit and we’ll be hoping for a change. Hell, run Michelle Obama with anyone.

While things look grim for the Democrats right now, a lot (and, I DO MEAN A LOT) can change between now and 2020. First, the Democrats are down but not out by any means. The Democrats will be the watchdogs of the system. And, with only a slight deficit in the US Senate seat count, they can maintain a handle to help keep an even keel. Next, the public can judge in the first two years if Trump and Company is living up to expectations. If not, America can reflect this by holding Republican Representatives responsible in a mid-term election - voting for the Democratic counterparts. Collectively, the amount of change from Red to Blue is a good barometer or benchmark by which to indicate how well the new regime is working.

If the mood should sour in the first two years, and nothing changes in the next two years, the Democrats will continue to gain ground with the hopes that, if things are turn really grim, people will demand change once again. The grimmer the madder; the madder the better. Only this time, the pendulum will swing in the opposite direction - against the incumbent party. Unfortunately, this takes lots of patience to wait for change if you happen to be one of the ones in waiting. Come 2020, who can say who will be the DNC’s choice? What will happen in the next four years? Economic prosperity? A heightened Middle East crisis? While we have no crystal ball, the Democrats will be waiting in the wings, watching every move. That is all we can know at this time. Whatever your politicial preference, we must take it a day at a time.

…yeah, totally forgot about Kaine. Oops! :frowning: Guess that shows how much appeal he has at present! :smiley:

What does that even mean?

Protectionist, not particularly religious, skeptical of foreign alliances.

First time for everything!

the majority of this country is white; no political party is going to win national elections, or even many state ones, if it goes from a party merely representing blacks to being the Black Party. Hard truths suck!

I’m gonna say AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka. He’s a big manly white guy with a mustache, for those rural and blue-collar voters who find comfort in such things. He’s a union guy, to bring back the union vote. He’s largely a progressive to bring in the Bernie supporters. He’s a Mine Worker, bringing credibility and a voice to people wary of the Democratic Party’s approach to clean energy. He’s from Pennsylvania, a swing state. He’s a dynamic speaker with a track record on speaking out on behalf of middle class families, and could go toe to toe with Donald any day of the week. He’s a Catholic. He’s an outsider (in that he’s never held elective public office) with DC connections, who has an intimate knowledge how Washington works.

And throw Tammy Duckworth on there as his running mate.
Trumka-Duckworth 2020**

Despite his age, I wouldn’t be surprised if Bernie Sanders tries again in 2020. Never mind how old he would be in 2024; he’s not running to be elected in 2024 - they can find someone else for that election.

Someone somewhere else on this board thinks this discussion is pointless, that Trump will cruise to reelection on fortunate economic cycles and small post ACA premium drops, not to mention blaming any problem on Democratic obstruction that demands representatives like David Duke.

I’m not sure how much I agree, but that may be a factor: how beatable Trump seems at the moment.

I suspect not.

Both of these two candidates were too old. Mr. Trump is the oldest man ever elected to the office. He is slightly older than Reagan. President Reagan really deteriorated in office.

I suspect Mr. Trump will not be able to run for re-election.

I’ll say; Jimmy Carter will be 96 years old on Election Day in 2020. Or he’ll be dead.

Was Michelle Obama born in Kenya?

Mark Cuban
Mark Zuckerburg
Lady Gaga

We are in a post-politician president era so find someone with charisma and the ability to connect with lots of diverse groups. That person should already be famous, but their current field is irrelevant

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

True, but they have to run somebody in 2020. They really shouldn’t concede the election.

Not impossible, but Carter could only hold one term. The Dems probably want someone who would be re-electable in 2024.