Hee-haw, y'all. The 2020 Democratic Presidential Primary

The 2018 midterms are pretty well wrapped up, Florida, Arizona, Georgia and a dozen or so House races notwithstanding.

So it’s only a matter of time before the ol’ Democratic ring gets peppered with presidential-hopeful hats. So far we only have two (legitimate) hats out there, and tons of speculation, but I thought we could use a central place for keeping track of who’s in, who’s out and who’s waving from the corner.

Who’s in:
John Delaney, Congressman from MD, who’s been declared since July 2017. A pro-business moderate who didn’t run for re-election this year to focus on running for president. From what I can see, he was a largely inconsequential member of Congress.

Richard Ojeda, state senator and vet from WV who earned two Bronze Stars. A life-long Democrat who voted for Trump, which he now regrets. Pro-pot, pro-labor, has an MBA, just lost his Congressional race. The grandson of an illegal migrant from Mexico.

Who’s waving from the corner:
Just to give all your sphincters a little extra pucker this afternoon…Former Clinton Advisor: Hillary will run in 2020

If Hillary was dumb enough to run she will go nowhere. You don’t get a second chance when you lose to a moron.

Mark Penn is a hack and probably hasn’t spoken to Hillary in almost a decade. His predictions are worth less than nothing.

If Hillary is the nominee Trump can start writing his inauguration speech right now. I’d like to think she and her people are smarter than that.

I don’t know enough about the two candidates in the OP to make an informed decision. Ojeda has an interesting profile but “voted for Trump” and “lost Congressional race” are not confidence inspiring. He’s never held a position higher than State Senator? I know that the state senators here in TN, at least, are not an impressive lot.

Ex Starbucks CEO Schultz looking like he might run as a Dem

a key adviser for him is the guy who ran McCain’s 2008 campaign

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/09/ex-starbucks-ceo-howard-schultz-builds-elite-pr-team-as-he-mulls-white-house-run.html

Ojeda has made it official: Military vet Ojeda announces 2020 presidential campaign

And as far as Schultz goes: I’d rather that Schmidt ran himself instead of being a behind-the-scenes guy for someone else.

I have no doubt that Hillary would have made a fine President, and I voted for her without hesitation. But that last run proved two things:

1. People (lots of them) in this country really hate her.
  2. She is capable of losing an election to Donald Emmer Effing Trump.

Sorry Hillary, that will not do. Please stay out of the way.

I’m reading that Ojeda is anti-abortion, which might be fine for a local race, but I think that’s going to be a non-starter on a National level for the Dems.

Don’t forget Swalwell and Avenatti. Avenatti has by far the most name recognition at this point.

if Schultz wins, we will get Starbucks on the few corners in America that don’t already have one.

There are 4 parts to every corner, so even if a corner has one, there is room for 3 more! :slight_smile:

Let’s not forget Oprah. You can’t spell Oval Office without O!!

…but enough about Bill Clinton.

The same guy who recommended McCain pick Sarah Palin?:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

this time he is going to pick Stormy Daniels as the running mate :slight_smile:

The detailed vetting is the campaign’s job. All anyone knew about Sarah Palin before she was picked was that she was the most popular governor in the country. Failure to vet her thoroughly was McCain’s fault.

There are a lot of Democratic candidates being touted by various supposedly smart people who will turn out to be morons once Katie Couric quizzes them on basic facts.

They did? She was?
:dubious:
Most popular governor?? Where was that decided, a “reality” show?

(So since that’s allegedly a thing, who holds the title today?)

He’s just talking about approval ratings, I would assume, not some national survey.

Huh, I misremembered. I thought Julian Castro had declared but apparently he merely declared he’s thinking about it.

Charlie Baker (R) of MA.

Net approval of +52 (at least it was in January), which was highest, but more so, in a state with a +24 D lean.

Right behind is Larry Hogan (R) MD, also a popular R in D land.
Ojeda running? Hey I had high hopes for him in WV but he got whomped. Of the two officially announced who is gone first?

Michael Bloomberg is reportedly considering running as a Democrat. I think Elisabeth Warren may give it a go too.

Of course there’s Bernie Sanders.

As an aside, if there’s anyone left who hadn’t heard of the 2012 HBO Movie “Game Change” that detailed the process by which Schmidt/McCain landed on Palin as the running-mate, it’s beyond fascinating. 76 hours ago, I’d never heard of the flick, then by 73 hours ago I subscribed to the notion that Julianne Moore is the greatest actress of our generation. Not to mention Sarah Paulson as Nicolle Wallace, and a nice cameo from the hilarious stuttering lawyer of ‘My Cousin Vinny’ portraying Joe Lieberman.

bastardized youtube version of the movie here (I have no idea if a better version is available through Netflix / Amazon Prime / etc).