Who here likes different types of burgers then?

I like traditional hamburgers, turkey burgers, and chicken burgers. Each one has a different rule regarding condiments.

Hamburger - Almost always with cheese (prefer American, Swiss, or Cheddar). Always with ketchup and yellow mustard. Sometimes lettuce and tomato.

Turkey burger - Always with Swiss cheese and sweet-hot mustard or BBQ sauce. Sometimes lettuce and tomato.

Chicken burger - Always with Swiss cheese and dijon mustard or BBQ sauce. Sometimes lettuce and tomato.

Yep, lamb liver is great, so is calf liver. A Turkish restaurant we like has a calf liver appetizer that is amazing.

I’m trying, but failing, to eat mostly plant based. My most recent, and favourite, failure was some very lean grass fed ground beef laced with Montreal steak seasoning, an egg for binder and … half a stick of frozen pea sized chunks of butter mixed into the patties. Grill the burgers, as one must, and served on grill toasted onion rolls. All the usual condiments. It was the best of the many non-plant based dinners we enjoyed on our recent sailing trip.

Good beef rare. I hate this new trend of brioche buns. Just a regular like I grew up with bun, please. On the rare side with a whole charred green chile. And onion, but extra onion on the side since I can never get enough onion.

I hated brioche buns when they first started becoming popular about a decade ago (supplanting the pretzel bun trend, though that still continues), but I’ve warmed to it, depending on the type of brioche bun and the type of burger. There are some lighter, fluffier brioche buns out there that stand up particularly well to thick, messy burgers, and I do end up using them for that application over something like a kaiser roll.

My favorite bun for a typical thin fast-food-style burger is a white bread bun that is a little bigger and a little sturdier than the cheapie supermarket-brand buns you get at the store. Something like the S. Rosen brand here. Preferably sesame-seeded for me. Or a Martin’s potato roll.

There’s a chain around here called Mr. Hero, with something called the Romanburger. It’s like a cross between a hamburger and an Italian sub, and it’s delicious.

I’m on team lamb burgers. If grilling, I’ll mince a bunch of garlic and onion and season heavily with cumin, rosemary, salt & pepper. Think grilled gyros patties. I don’t bother with all that if cooking sous vide, the garlic and onion stay raw. Feta and raw onion for serving.

I needed some inspiration for lunches next week and I think lamb gyros burgers are perfect!

I’m mostly a beef burger fan. Almost any topping combo works for me. I’ve had many other non-beef types that were OK, but nothing to pursue further. I’ve tried salmon burger a couple of times and each time I ended up asking my dining mates, “Is it supposed to be like this?” The proportion of bread and dried up salmon just didn’t work for me. I guess I was missing a combo of grill char and fattiness.

I have found that I also don’t prefer mixtures in the patty. One restaurant in the town I’m working in has a lunch burger special and everyone I work with swears it’s the best burger they’ve ever had in their lives! Ok, I’ll try it. It turns out it’s a mixture of beef / lamb / pork. Sorry, it just tasted off to me.

I hate saying all this because it makes me sound like an un-adventurous eater, and I swear that is not the case!

I’m surprised no one has brought up steak burgers.

Just a hunk of steak, usually bottom round or whatever is on sale, rough chopped into 1/2" ish cubes.

Cook it up in a pan, throw in some diced onions, shallots and garlic too, if you are into such. Generous helpings of salt, garlic powder, and black pepper.

Toast the buns in the broiler, then load them up with the steak filling.

Top with jalapenos and cheese, and back in the melt for a bit till the cheese just starts to brown.

Usually my only garnish is a fresh sliced tomato.

Does that hold together at all? It seems like it would be, at best, loose. To me, a burger needs to feature a patty.

That’s what the melted cheese is for.

I’m not Australian - is that beetroot pickled?

It’s what they call a beet. I’m guessing it’s pickled in this case instead of being a slice of a rock on top of a hamburger.

ETA: I gather you know what beetroot is and you’re just asking if it’s pickled in this case. So ignore the first sentence.

Yes, just wanted to know if pickled slices or cooked slices, but I guessed pickled would make more sense.

From an expat Aussie - yes, the beet is pickled, usually around 3 to 4 inches in diameter. Not sure where Kam is from, but ours in Northern NSW also had a slice of grilled pineapple. The only condiment is tomato sauce (Aussie equivalent of ketchup). I miss them so much!!

There are non-pickled, cooked beets, too, so it is a fair question. (Like Libby’s canned beets, and, of course, if you boil/roast your own.) But, yes, they’re pickled. And they are quite lovely on a burger, I must admit, giving it a sweet & sour counterpoint. But I grew up in a Polish family and was raised to love beets. Unfortunately, few friends or my wife and kids share my love of beets. :frowning: