Who is in charge of the elections?

The votes have been cast, they are being tabulated as we speak, then sent on to… where, exactly? What agency is in charge of the voting process? Who is it that takes all these numbers and declares a winner for one side or the other?

Nobody. The state’s electral college votes aren’t cast until December. Do we have to go through this again? Read the US constitution.

I think in most states the Secretary of State is in charge of elections.
In my county they used to cart all the ballots (MN has an optical scan system) to the County seat, but recently my poling place has its own machine.

I"m not 100% sure what happens but each precinct sends its results to the office of SOS.

In MN a percentage of districts are randomly audited (regardless of how close the vote is) - there may be additiol recounts but I don’t know the system.

Brian

Yes, whatever you do, don’t ask questions like this in a “General Questions” forum. This forum is for far more serious stuff…

It depends on the state.

In New York, voting is overseen by the state Board of Elections. There are also individual Boards of Elections for each county. These keep voting records, make up the ballots, manage the voting machines, and count the numbers when the polls close.

Each individual election district reports; there is both a Democrat and a Republican poll worker at each polling place.* Totals are certified and called into the County Board of Elections, which tabulates votes from all districts, certifies them at the county level, and calls them in to the State Board of Elections. The State Board of Elections eventually announces the official result statewide, though by that time the winners are usually already known.

If it’s a presidential election, then electors for the winning candidate will be considered elected.

In some states, there is an elected official like the Secretary of State that announces the official results. However, there are potential problems with that (if the Secretary of State is elected, then there is always the perception he or she will favor their own party). The Board of Elections is strictly nonpartisan (or, rather, equally partisan – the same number of members from each of the two official “major” parties), so that there’s no question about their rulings.

*A third-party poll worker is theoretically possible if that third party came in first or second in the previous gubernatorial election. That’s never happened, but it did come close once.