Who is smarter, you or your SO?

[QUOTE=Jaade]
Definitely me :smiley:

[QUOTE]

I happen to know your SO, and I’d have to say that smug assertion is highly debatable.

Always been the smarter one, but I’d love to be the dumber one for a change. Smart men make me very, very hot.

My husband and I were tickled to learn that we have exactly the same total score on the GRE (Graduate Record Exam). The balance is different, though: his verbal score is identical to my math score, and my verbal score is identical to his math score.

I’m the smart one, when measured by conventional standards (e.g. my SAT score of 1600). I’m more analytical (sometimes **too **analytical) and more creative. I have an intuitive grasp of math and music and visual arts.

But My Guy can speak four languages fluently, and has a whole lot of street smarts, which I have none of. He absolutely shines in social situations (it’s amazing to watch him work a room), whereas I’m often a wallflower.

People who don’t know us very well probably wonder why we’re together, since he’s a total “hottie” and much younger. But people who know us better have said that we’re a perfect match. We think so too.

My husband’s intelligence has always awed me. He turned down Columbia for a full scholarship elsewhere. He majored in chemical engineering and still has textbooks with titles that I don’t understand. He’s also a fabulous writer with a quick wit that keeps me laughing a lot when we’re together.

I’m not stupid either. I graduated from college Summa Cum Laude. I’m a published writer with a prestigious part-time job. My verbal SAT score was somewhat higher than his and in fact the highest in my large public high school – but I can’t do math well and don’t possess his all around intelligence.

Mr. Del and I have different areas of smarts.

I’m more of the bookish type, I did better in school (although he did fine), and I tend to be more of a generalist – I know a fairly decent amount about a lot of things. I think I’m more savvy about people and relationships. He has a better memory, but I’m better at tracking down information.

He’s the champ at bizarre trivia, and much better at “figuring things out” – I get frustrated and bored, while he’ll plug away at a problem until he comes up with the solution. He’s got a few areas where he’s extremely well-versed, really expert levels of knowledge, while if there’s something he’s not interested in, he can’t be bothered to retain a single piece of information about it.

We met in a book club so I guess we both valued intelligence in some way at least.