Who owns a pool table? Are you glad you do?

I was at an estate sale today and they had a very nice pool table marked down to $175 (but of course, the buyer has to haul it away). It is the last day of the sale and they were practically giving stuff away.

I’ve always wanted one, but I don’t really want to give up that much real estate in my basement. Plus there’s that pesky hauling thing.

Who has one? How often do you play? Do you ever regret the purchase?

Just wondering.
mmm

My parents got one when I was in high school… and the early opportunity for practice won me more than my fair share of free drinks from $20 bar games through my 20s. Not sure if that’s what you’re looking for (or if it’s what they were looking for)! More seriously, my dad played it a ton the first few years, but it’s more of a when-company’s-over thing now, and has been for a while. I think if you already have a passion for it or do weekly guys’ parties or something, you’ll use it a ton, but then you probably aren’t wavering around an estate sale decision for a table.

(In the scheme of things, it’s the space more than the money, especially at second-hand prices.)

My parents got one and put it in their basement after I moved out for college. Make sure you have enough room, not just for the table, but to actually play it. There were a couple choke points in my parents’ basement where had to use the shorty stick. Also expect lots of scuffs and scrapes on the walls if not enough room, if not full on holes in the wall. After a while, it essentially just became a table to set crap on since play fell off pretty sharply after a year or two.

When we bought our current home (some 35+ years ago) the sellers generously left us their pool table which was in the basement. It was in pretty bad shape, and cost us what seemed like a lot of money to recondition and resurface.

But it was fun to play on, and gave me something pleasant to do with my father (we didn’t otherwise get along) when my parents visited. Well worth the money for that purpose alone. I still remember my youngest daughter (who at the time wasn’t tall enough to reach the table surface level) “helping” me by throwing pool balls from the return rack back up onto the table. (No, that wasn’t very good for either the balls or the table, but hey - she was being helpful.)
Of course, for the past 20 years or so it’s been a horizontal surface onto which we throw stuff “temporarily”.

As with sevenwood, we inherited our table from the previous owners, who didn’t want to haul it. We played on it for a little while, but ultimately, we weren’t using it enough to justify the amount of space it was taking up in the home theater area of the basement. We’ve now shoved it out of the way into a corner, where it mostly serves as storage for our board games and as an occasional cat perch.

If someone offered to take it away, I’m not sure I’d even ask for any money.

That was sort of the same case with me. Ours came with the house. It was close to one wall and there is a post on the other side, but as someone once said, they’ll only be in the way when you’re playing for money.
Anyways, we moved into that house when I was 16. I played it a lot (few hours a night) when I was in high school. Nothing serious, just shooting a few racks on my own, no lessons or training or books or anything. Youtube didn’t exist in the 90’s. I may have rented a tape from Blockbusters at one point. But, either way, that much practice did give me a bit of an advantage in college when we’d be at a bar and someone wanted to play. Yes, there were scuffs on the wall, but those were mostly from people not familiar with the layout and less from us.

As for moving it, it depends on the table. If it’s a cheapo table, you might be able to do it yourself. Ours is tournament sized, made with 3 pieces of matched Italian slate and weighs about a thousand pounds. Since we’ve been in the house, we’ve had to move it twice (both times to redo the carpet). This is something that pros need to do. You can try, but they know how to dismantle it and put it back together properly. They can also refelt it as long as they have to put it back together. We’ve seen this done twice, our family is very handy and we still wouldn’t attempt moving this thing on our own. But, like I said, if it’s just a cheapo pool table that you’d find in a small bar, with a single piece top, you might be able to to it on your own.

We got one about 12 years ago. It doesn’t quite fit (and it’s only a 7 footer), but it’s still playable. And play we did. For about 3 years. Then maybe when we had folks over. Then even less.

Right now the baby’s changing pad is on one end and a few piles of laundry are on the other.

I’ve got one, I bought it a few years back when I extended the house and had room.

Doesn’t get used a lot but when it does, it’s a fun night and I don’t regret buying it for a second.

My uncle had 14 kids and once the kids grew up and married his house was still the Sunday meeting place. He ended up enlarging his den to accommodate two pool tables. Great times we had over there. This went on for decades.

We inherited ours with the house. It’s one heavy sucker, needed a hydraulic jack to lift it up just to turn it 90 degrees.

The cat sleeps on it a lot. The wife sorts clothes for ironing and mending on it. Sometimes other various projects are done on it. Pool may be played on it once or twice a year. Or not. No regrets as it was free, but we sometimes reflect on selling it. However, the buyer would need to get it out of the basement, no small feat. May be easier to let our heirs worry about it, which was the strategy my parents employed for it. They moved it into the basement before construction of the house was fully done.

Was playing pool at a friend’s house Saturday night. It’s in his basement between two steel columns about 3 1/2 feet away from the table on either side. You’d think those columns would rarely end up being a problem, but no, he needs to keep a short stick because you just can’t get through a game without some interference from them. It takes a lot of room.

Remember the Drew Carey show? He had his table out in the back yard. There are outdoor pool tables, I think I’d consider that, it wouldn’t be useful in the winter months, but I think it’s the only way I’d bother with a full size table. It would take up too much space anywhere in the house to get full clearance all around. If you wanted a full size 9 footer you’d need an open space on the order of 13x18 feet, tough to find indoors without any obstructions. I could do that easily outdoors. There would be at least 4 months of the year it wouldn’t be usable by sane people, but then most indoor home pool tables don’t get used at all.

If you have the space, no problem. But get a nice new one. We inherited one in our new house, and after an abortive attempt at Craigslist, we paid a couple hundred to have it hauled away. (You don’t want some yahoos coming to your place in a compact car, and asking to use your tools to take it apart, as they injure themselves and damage your home in the process.)

I watched them take it apart. NO WAY an average person could do that - and put it back together. Those slates are HEAVY - and easily damaged. Also, bumpers wear out. You’d need it refelted, levelled… Would end up paying WELL over the $175 to move and refurbish. I’ve known several other folk who have been in similar situations. Right now I’ve got a good buddy who has had a standing offer to give away his table to anyone who will take it. And his is nice, rather than the POS we inherited.

Of the folk I know who have them, very few pool tables get used regularly. But if you have the space in a huge finished basement or rec room, you might find you enjoy playing it, and it might enliven the occasional party. And they give a certain look, if that is what you like.

Personally, I’d prefer ping pong! :smiley:

Has anyone seen a Bumper Pool table recently? I remember a lot of them in the 60s and 70s, at homes, bars, bowling alleys, and the like. Much less space needed, kind of fun, but not really pool either. We inherited one my wife’s father built, but it was falling apart, didn’t seem worth saving.

When I was in the Navy, I used to play bumper pool and I used to think I’d like to get a table. But even tho they’re smaller, we’ve never lived in a place where we’d have enough space to spare.

That’s our situation, exactly. Even the dates match. Except we don’t have a baby. :slight_smile:

Like many in the thread, we got ours when the previous owners didn’t want to move it.

I like it, and it’s fun trying to teach my 4 year old to play (well, equal parts fun and frustrating). I remember when I was in high school the typical after school activity was getting together to shoot pool at my friend’s house. I’d like my kids to have that available to them as well.

As long as they don’t get into the liquor cabinet, like me and my friends kept trying :S

A friend in highschool had one in a game room on the main floor of his home. One day he brought snacks into the room as another guy was about to break. He said, “we always break the other way”. The guy went ahead with his break, shattering the sliding glass door that led to the patio.

A friend of mine has a cute little kid’s step-stool in his game room by his pool table. It’s a very nice table, and I couldn’t imagine him allowing a child anywhere near it.

I asked him about the stool once, and he explained that when his wife was on the table, the step stool brought him to the ideal height. TMI.

Sounds like the problem was not the direction of the break but the guy’s inability to break cleanly.

Well, I know what I’m suggesting to my wife tonight. :cool:

That she “breaks the other way”? :wink:

Like nearly everyone, we got a free pool table from people who were moving. :slight_smile:

We built a nice 2-piece lid for it, so that was fun to do. It looks good and is invaluable for folding the laundry or setting out a lot of food on holidays.

We hardly ever play anymore, though it’s always a good time when we do.

Now we’re thinking about moving as well, so the table is pushed aside to better showcase the size of the room to potential buyers and we can’t play on it. We’ve also found few houses that have a good place for it, so I suspect we’ll be passing it along to someone else soon. It’s been great, though, I don’t regret it.