Who pays for marketing tie-ins?

For news programs (like CNBC) I assume that the wardrobe is provided in exchange for the free advertising the clothier receives during the “Wardrobe provided by …” segment. Do the anchors get to keep the clothes? Does the network? Are the clothes given back to the clothes maker?

I’m also wondering who (if anyone) pays for songs in a movie or video game. If a video game has some popular music in it (like Madden football) is the video game maker paying to use the music, or is the group paying to have their music on the game, or does each side consider it a fair trade off? What about movie soundtracks? Is a group approached about making a song for the movie or will a group go to a director and push their song?

If there’s any other marketing tie-ins that I forgot about I’d like to hear explanations for those too.

Clothes are normally returned to the supplier, unless they are going to be reused in another episode.

Generally you pay the copyright holder of the song if you use it in your soundtrack, but in Australia, people who use large numbers of songs can by a license from APRA and they will distribute the money according to their rules.

Games work the same way as movies.

There are 3 ways to get music into a movie:
[list=1]
[li]Pay a composer to write everything (e.g. John Williams doing “Star wars”)[/li][li]Pay an artist to write an original song (usually as a tie-in - e.g. Will Smith’s MIB songs)[/li][li]Pay to use extant songs (e.g. 50s music)[/li][/list=1]

Generally speaking, any kind of deal can be made. In the last Bond film, Madonna wrote the theme song and appeared in the movie as a way of cross-promoting the movie and the single.