Who put the bop in the bop-she-bop-she-bop?

This is an experiment to discover which visitors to the board have WAY TOO MUCH FREE TIME.

How many will attempt to answer this question?

I don’t know who it was, but he made my baby fall in love with me!

Who was that man? I’d like to shake his hand.

Kid_Gilligan

According to my sources, “bop” is a colloquially shortened form (originally an intransitive verb) of “bebop”. For example, “Man, can she bop!”

Bebop is popularly regarded as the forerunner to modern jazz. Charlie Parker gets the nod from most people as the founder of bebop in the 1940s, with Dizzy Gillespie recognized as a major contributor. Miles Davis, Charles Mingus, and Fats Navarro carried forward this nouveau music style, characterized by complex eighth-note runs and fast tempos, into full-blown modern jazz.

“It is lucky for rulers that men do not think.” — Adolf Hitler

I imagine the author of the first song to have the bop in it.

“Who Put The Bomp (In The Bomp, Bomp, Bomp)” was written by Bary Mann and Gerry Goffin. Released as a single by Barry Mann, it reached #7 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart in the fall of 1961. Barry Mann was a prolific writer, co-writing such hits as “Blame It On The Bossa Nova”, “I Love How You Love Me”, “You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’”, and many more.

Give his prolific songwriting successes, I’ve always though that, through this song, Barry Mann was bragging that "I’m the one who put the bomp etc. etc.

I imagine the same person who put the wam in the wamma-lamma-ding-dong…

Yer pal,
Satan

Is it true what they say about Dixie?

Do you know what it means to miss New Orleans?

Have you ever seen a dream walking?

Is it at long last love?

As you know it today, Phil Spector.

We live in an age that reads to much to be wise, and thinks too much to be beautiful–Oscar Wilde

That’s “bomp shu bomp,” etc. With a long U sound.

Boogety, boogety, shoop.

I don’t know, but one of my classmates once gave a seminar presentation on this book that purported to be a cultural study of transvestitism. The author, in the inimitable way of academics, saw transvestitism everywhere. She even had a chapter on the diphthong, which she claimed was “the linguistic equivalent of a cross-dresser.” (You know, two letters, one sound … no, I don’t get it either.)

So, of course, I burst into a rousing chorus of “Who Put the Thong in the Dip-dip-Thong?”

Whole class was rolling on the floor. Most fun I’ve ever had in grad school.

I’ll tell you who put the bop-in-the-bop-she-bop-she-bop.

It was those damn Germans.

Ella Fitzgerald.

He bop, she bop, we bop;
I bop, you bop a they bop;
be-bop, be-bob-a-loo! She-bop.

I hope that clears things up :slight_smile:
Zette

Click here for some GOOD news for a change

Zettecity

And of course the teeny-boppers will go “Mmmm-bop.” :wink:

Hey! I’ve been looking for this bop everywhere! What’s it doing in here? No wonder I couldn’t find it! All right, who put the bop in the bop-she-bop-she-bop? Next time, please put the bop where it belongs, and stop leaving things in the bop-she-bop-she-bop. What am I, your mother?

“That’s entertainment!” —Vlad the Impaler

And while you’re at it, get that ram out of the rama-lama-ding-dong! Sheesh!

“That’s entertainment!” —Vlad the Impaler

Shortly after that song was first played on the radio, I came up with my own lyrics for its refrain:
Who was that man?
I’d like to break his hand!
He made my baby fall into the well!
(I was 12 then.)

“If you drive an automobile, please drive carefully–because I walk in my sleep.”–Victor Borge

I’m pretty sure it was Donna Shalala, in her early years in politics.

Zette wanted to have fun by saying:

So, the answer is Cyndi Lauper did when she sang about female masturbation.

And, to greatly annoy Nick and make him puke all over me (before this can be moved to MPSIMS)…

HIJAK!!

Name your favorite masturbation song (I mean, songs about masturbation… I don’t want to know the other stuff).

Peace.