Who started adding letters to the end of car names?

And of course there is the LTD.

Limited to what?

How many they could sell?

That reminds of Sir Mix-a-lot’s song, “Something 'Bout My Benzo”:

Not just one - I got three
I collect 'em ya see:
SEL, a 190 and a SEC

I love the muscle car of the 70s (As sold here in Australia, at least), the Ford Falcon GTHO. The HO stood for “Handling Option”, which was a tacit way of admitting that you had to pay for a top of the line car in you wanted to be able to steer the thing, and that the regular cars of the era were like houseboats.

Easier to enforce under trademark law.

That was a Seinfeld bit, wasn’t it?

I’m sure you’ve noticed that a large number of companies prefer alternative spellings. It has to do with the relationship between language and the strength of a trademark.

There’s a continuum of categories: Generic - Descriptive - Suggestive - Arbitrary - Fanciful

If you have a word that you’ve invented yourself and it has no meaning other than the one you’ve assigned to it, then you have stronger rights to prevent anyone else using it for any reason. If, on the other hand, the word is simply an English word that you are using for its ordinary meaning, then you can’t stop anyone else from using it.

Changing the spelling of a word helps you to move it more in the direction of “fanciful.”