Who uses Cryillic?

All of old USSR? Anyone else, like group of ethnic Byzantines in Istanbul?

According to this article, it is used in “Russian and other languages of the republics that once formed the Soviet Union and for Bulgarian and Serbian.”

Hope this helps.

Cyrillic is used in much of the former USSR: Russia, Ukraine, and Belarus for sure. I think the Baltic republics use Roman script, but I’m not sure. Whether the Caucusus and Turkestan republics use Cyrillic, Roman, Arabic, or local scripts is something I’m not sure of.

Outside the CIS, it’s used by Bulgaria and Yugoslavia (Serbia + Macedonia), and IIRC Romania as well – it’s interesting to see a Romance language in Cyrillic script!

Poland, the Czech Rep., Slovakia, Slovenia, Hungary, and Croatia all use Roman script. Bosnia and Macedonia I’m not sure of – IIRC Bosnia uses Roman, Macedonia Cyrillic. But I would not be surprised to be contradicted on them.

Russians, Belarussians, Ukrainians, Bulgarians, Serbs and Montenegrins, Macedonians…generally, the East Slavic and the Orthodox half of the South Slavic-speaking peoples.

Various other nationalities from the old USSR switched to Cyrillic from Latin during the Soviet period. (Many of these groups, such as the various Central Asian nationalities, originally wrote their languages in Arabic, then switched to Latin, then to Cyrillic.) Since the collapse of the Soviet Union, various of the new republics have been debating exactly what alphabet to use, it being seen as a signal of which way they are leaning geopolitically–Cyrillic would indicate being in the Russian orbit, Latin a pro-Western orientation, and the re-adoption of Arabic an Islamist one. I’m sure the Baltic States are all using the Latin alphabet now; I believe most of the Turkic republics are also moving that way.

I believe Romania proper used the Latin alphabet even during the Soviet period. However, the Soviets did impose Cyrillic on the Romanian-speaking republic of Moldavia/Moldova, which is an ethnically Romanian area which has been bounced back and forth between Russia/the Soviet Union and Romania. Towards the end of the Soviet period, the Moldovans went back to Latin, although they have thus far rejected reunification with Romania (and are now an independent state).

I do know The mongolian Khalka Dialect (outer mongolia) Uses the Cyrillic Alphabet as well.

Osip

Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia use the latin alphabet and used it even during the Soviet occupation.

To elaborate on what MEBuckner said – on this subject, you can listen to NPR’s All Things Considered® News show from 31 August 2000 that has the following news item:

The news item also mentioned other states (ex-members of the Soviet Union) that are switching to the latin alphabet.

This Atlantic Monthly article, New-Alphabet Disease? by Toby Lester, describes the alphabetic turmoil that Azerbaijan is incurring – having gone from Arabic to Latin (in the 1920s) and from Latin to Cyrillic (in the 1930s), the country’s new government decreed in 1991 that Azerbaijani was now to be written exclusively in Latin letters. Which is the same path that Tartarstan went through (as mentioned in the NPR news item mentioned above).

Encyclopedia Americana says

Interestingly, the Encyclopedia Americana says that St. Cyril St. Methodius probably did not invent the Cyrillic alphabet, but the Glagolitic alphabet. The Glagolitic was formerly used in many Slavonic languages, but is now used only as “a liturgical script by some Croatian Catholics.” Apparently the Cyrillic was influenced both by Glagolitic and directly by Greek.