sonny or michael corleon?
lucius vorenus or titus pulo?
balky bartophomus or larry appleton?
wyatt earp or doc holiday (tombstone version starring kurt russel)?
- not a clue
- Hans Gruber or John McClane
- Brad Pitt or Edward Norton in Fight Club
- Clooney or Pitt in Ocean’s Eleven
- Sinatra or anybody else in the Rat Pack
- Don’t watch Rome; can’t really answer this
- Danny Tanner or Uncle Jesse?
- Setzer Gabbiani or Edgar Figaro?
- Tom Sawyer or Huckleberry Finn?
- Spartacus or Crixus? (Being ludis champion doesn’t necessarily make you the Alpha Male.)
Moving thread from IMHO to Cafe Society.
Really? I’d say Vorenus was the dominant one in that relationship.
I’d have to agree.
Sonny, Michael didn’t become alpha male until Sonny was dead.
A tough one. I think they took turns being alpha male depending on the situation they faced.
Neither, they were both looking for an alpha male to lead them.
Both were alpha males of rival packs. That’s why their fight was inevitable.
haven’t seen Fight Club
Chandler or Joey?
Dorothy or the Wizard?
M or Bond?
Starsky or Hutch?
- sonny or michael corleon? Michael.
- lucius vorenus or titus pulo? Don’t watch Rome.
- balky bartophomus or larry appleton? Pack in search of an alpha.
- wyatt earp or doc holiday (tombstone version starring kurt russel)? Wyatt.
- Hans Gruber or John McClane. Neither - both alphas of their pack.
- Brad Pitt or Edward Norton in Fight Club. Pitt.
- Clooney or Pitt in Ocean’s Eleven. Clooney.
- Sinatra or anybody else in the Rat Pack. Meh.
- Danny Tanner or Uncle Jesse? Jesse.
- Setzer Gabbiani or Edgar Figaro? Pass.
- Tom Sawyer or Huckleberry Finn? Huck.
- Spartacus or Crixus? (Being ludis champion doesn’t necessarily make you the Alpha Male.) Pass.
- Chandler or Joey? Joey.
- Dorothy or the Wizard? Neither - two different packs. If had to press, Wizard, then Dorothy after the discovery.
- M or Bond? Great one! M.
- Starsky or Hutch? Pass.
always a tough one. might be perception. women tend to say pulo while men tend to say vorenus. pulo is physically impressive and a ferocious warrior but outside of fighting, he has a cheerful and good-natured character. best of all, he has a winning way with women. vorenus is physically unimpressive, has a permanently grim outlook, and a rocky marriage.
on the other paw, pulo has dim intelligence, never went past legionairre rank, always getting into trouble in civilian life. vorenus is a first spear centurion; reliable and trust-worthy. most importantly, he was the quintessential good roman.
- Chandler or Joey? - joey
- Dorothy or the Wizard? - judy
- M or Bond? - bond
- Starsky or Hutch? - starsky
Starsky drove the car, which meant he ultimately was the one who was in control of their fate whenever they were on the streets which was at least 50% of the time. His control of the car also meant his instinctive decisions usually controlled where the team would end up when not in the car.
(Presumably Starsky went through extremely rigorous police driving schools before he got qualified to that point. Let’s hope.)
i think it also has something to do with his choice of car. remember hutchinson’s car? it was usually stuck in the repair shop.
Good points. I think it’s another situation where neither was an alpha male. Caesar was the alpha male and they were just pack members.
To respond to my other ones
- Chandler or Joey? Trick question. Phoebe was the alpha male.
- Dorothy or the Wizard? Dorothy. The Wizard tried to challenge her for the top spot but she beat him.
- M or Bond? Bond although M had been an alpha male when he was younger.
- Starsky or Hutch? Starsky
karl kolchack or tony vincenzo?
major pappy boyington or sergeant micklin?
how about an entire jury “twelve angry men?” who were the alphas?
Karl, always got his way but he was never rewarded.
Micklin, Pappy: “you see I need Micklin to fix my plane but he doesn’t need me for anything”
Vorenus, no question. Many times Pulo would go to him for advice and also Vorenus would call him to attention: Legionary Pulo!
and Pulo would instantly snap to attention.
tony, because he always knew how to handle karl.
micklin. both had their little kingdons to manage. micklin was more (brutally) efficient.
sorry, i meant the 1997 version.
old alpha: george c. scott, armin meuller stahl
old betas: hume cronyn, jack lemon, ossie davis, edward j olmos
young alphas: mykelti williamson, tony danza, dorian harewood, tyrees allen (guard), douglas spain? (accused)
young betas: james gandolfini, courtney vance (foreman), william petersen
but i would say pulo squared everything with vorenus in the end.
James Gandolfini, a beta? I don’t think so. If you’re defining Gandolfini (as pretty much everyone does) by his portrayal of Tony Soprano, it’d be damn hard to argue that this character is anything but a super-alpha. Privately plagued by insecurities, maybe, but still very alpha.
Christopher was alpha. Bobby was a beta. Paulie was an alpha. Silvio was so over-the-top in terms of his characterization, it’s hard to assign any label to him. (He was never written very deeply - more like a bit of “color” for the show.) Vito was a beta. Artie was, obviously, a stereotypical beta.
Uncle Junior was hardcore alpha (and bitter as hell because he was stripped of all agency in life, confined to house arrest/mental institution.) Johnny Sack was alpha. Philly was alpha.
Meadow was alpha female. Carmela was total alpha bitch. A.J. was beta all the way.
Interesting show to analyze.
I don’t know any of the people in your story.
ideally: Mal from Firefly
physically: Arnold in whatever but especially Predator
facially: Sam Witwer (Aiden, Being Human US)
honorable mention: Stephen Lang (Avatar General)
rupert in survivor, pearl island.
- Sonny Corleone was a big, muscular, authoritative alpha male, with a legendary large penis (which is the reason that the girl from the beginning wants to have sex with him.). Still, it’s Michael, a testament to him being one of the most badass characters ever.