Who Was Your Favourite Food Character

Inspried by the thread about the Frito Bandito guy

Who was or is your favourite character from a food?

I mean store food, not fast food or resturant food or characters that were famous first then became cereals. In other word characters developed specifically to market food. And they have to be fake not real people like Mr Whipple.

Examples are:

[ul]
[li]Frito Bandito[/li][li]WC Frito[/li][li]Chester Cheetah[/li][li]Mr Peanut[/li][li]Bazooka Joe[/li][li]The Kool-Aid Pitcher Guy[/li][li]Jolly Green Giant[/li][li]Speedy Alka Seltzer[/li][li]Twinkie the Kid[/li][/ul]

[above are just examples of what I’m looking for, don’t limit yourself to just these]

Also did you ever own any merchandise by any of them

I recall I had a Frito Bandito and WC Frito erasers and I also had a stuffed Jolly Green Giant doll I got by saving up labels.

So who are your favourites, and if you must, who did you detest :slight_smile:

The Quisp cereal alien. He was cute, onion-headed, and had a propeller on top of his head. He pandered to my love of all things SF, he didin’t have annoying TV commercials, and occasionally I’ll still find a store that carries it.

I liked Snap, Crackle and Pop, the Rice Krispie guys, and the Quisp alien too. Bazooka Joe was like an anachronism out of the 1940s.

My daughter used a Mr. Peanut Peanut Butter Maker tonight. She was trying to process some coconut chunks. It didn’t work very well.

Hmmm… probably some cereal character. I can’t decide between the Trix Rabbit, Toucan Sam, Lucky the Leprechaun, or Tony the Tiger.

Oh, wait! I’ve got it–the Hawaiian Punch guy.

I grew up so poor we couldn’t afford brand name food, or even the tier 2 food with obscure mascots. When I saw the title, my first thought was the black guy in a white suit with the vaguely Caribbean accent who peddled 7 up, but I guess he’s out.

Do fictional mascots count? I would vote for the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man from Ghostbusters.

If not, I guess I would go with the Pilsbury Doughboy.

Mine was the Pillsbury Dough Boy. I used to have Pillsbury toaster strudels ever day for breakfast and he looked really cute and huggable in commercials. I remember I tried to sew a doll based on his character.

I liked the non-clown McDonald’s characters. Ronald McDonald toys in my childhood were creepy things, but I liked Grimace and the Happy Meal Gang.

I have fond memories of Kool-Aid, the big walking pitcher who said “Oh yeeeeeah!” But as an adult, I realized, he was a jerk! He was constantly walking through people’s walls and fences, causing all kinds of property damage, just to sell his sugar water! Damn you Kool-Aid! You’d better have some insurance, or a good lawyer!

Missed the OP’s line that I should pick non-restaurant mascots. My bad.

I always liked the Cap’n Crunch commercials.

Also, you might want to check out Breakfast of the Gods, a webcomic that is something like “Watchmen played out by breakfast cereal mascots”.

The Sugardale pig. I don’t know if he has a proper name. I always enjoyed how psychotically happy he appeared to be while selling the flesh of his brethren.

Toucan Sam fan here. But I can’t really explain why. He didn’t have much of a personality. Maybe I just liked the colors? But I always get a soft sentimental smile when I think of him (which admittedly isn’t often).

Plus Froot Loops rule!

The California Raisins.

Does Lucky Captain Rabbit King count?

If not… maybe the Cocoa Puffs Cuckoo. I just always liked the way he totally lost it.

Quisp (and his one-time nemesis, Quake).

I used to work for Quaker (which made those cereals, as well as Cap’n Crunch). Quisp, Quake, and Cap’n Crunch (and, the original TV ads, as well) were created by Jay Ward, of “Rocky and Bullwinkle” fame. We had a reel of all the old ads (many of which were 60 or 90 seconds long, more common for ads back in the 1960s). They were a lot of fun to watch.

LOL

I guess thrive on destruction huh? I forgot I had a Pillsbury Dough Boy doll as well. He was pretty cool. Of course I’d the dough raw as well.

I did feel sorry for the Trix Rabbit, I mean why can’t the rabbit have some cereal?

I believe they were a licensed property, not created specifically for the food.

It was the other way around. The characters were created by the ad agency where I work, for an ad for the California Raisin Advisory Board. The ad was so popular, the characters were then spun off and licensed for other uses.

Count Chocula!

The original was cool, but then they thought he was too scary and redid him into a wuss :slight_smile: