Who was your school named after?

Who was your school named after?

My Junior High and High Schools were both named after the town I lived in, but my elemetary school was named for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Mar%C3%ADa_Reina_BarriosJose Barrios.
I knew nothing about this cat until today.

Who were your schools named after?

My high school was named after the two towns it served, but my grammar school was named after a saint.

R.J. Mitchell, the man who designed the Spitfire.

Elwood P. CubberleyHigh School-Palo Alto, Ca

The school was named after the two cities it served.

My Montessori pre-school was named after no one… or maybe after many, its name was in part “Pueblo Trabajador” (the working population/populace/people).

My elementary school was name after one of the founders, both were married and educators. There are other public schools with his or her name, but mine was the private school they founded. So the name is Josefita Monserrate de Sellés. Some ex-alum even included it in the entry about education in San Juan, PR.

My secondary school (junior high and high) didn’t have a name, as it is the laboratory high school for the univesity.

Only two of the schools I attended were named after people. One was after St Joseph, in Christian tradition the stepfather of Jesus. The other was named after Gilbert du Motier, except the school used his title by which he is more commonly known, the marquis de Lafayette. He was a French military officer who greatly assisted the American side in the War of Indendence. One of these was a Catholic school and one a public school, and you get no points for guessing which was which :stuck_out_tongue:

All the other schools I have attended were named for their location.

My high school was named for George Bancroft, politician, educator, and Secretary of the Navy who established the USNA at Annapolis.

When I lived in Texas, Ed White.

King Edward VI. My school was a girls only offshoot of the original boys’ school founded in 1552 during his reign, along with a bunch of others all given his name.

Father Junìpero Serra High School in San Diego, not a catholic school believe it or not. We were the Conquistadors, of course.

Horace Mann, who, as far as I can tell, had absolutely no connection whatsoever to West Virginia. But if you’re choosing random educational reformers to name schools after, he’s certainly a fine one.

My grade school was named after a saint.

My high school was named after a cathedral.

My university was named after the county, which was named after Mad Anthony XXXXX.

Montgomery Blair, cabinet member of Abraham Lincoln.

Paul Laurence Dunbar, one of America’s first notable black poets. Paul Laurence Dunbar High School was the black high school in Lexington during the time of segregation. After integration, there was fierce controversy because some folks didn’t want to keep the name, but others did.

My elementary schools were named after Sheldon Harley Wheeler (Army base school in Honolulu) and Lafayette (San Diego).

Junior High was John Muir, and my high school was named after Joe Pioneer.

Thomas Johnson, the first governor of Maryland.

I’ve only been to one school named after a person, and they chose Thurgood Marshall. The others were named after landmarks, streets, cities or towns.

Elementary school was named after the original name of the town/settlement; HS was the current name. (In general, this little burg doesn’t go much for honoring folks by naming schools after–all of the elementary schools’s names are/were basically geographical.)

My elementary school was named after the street it was on:

Einstein School, Haifa, Israel. Seriously.