Who were the Most Famous Suicides of the 20th Century?

I admit, Kurt Cobain and Ernest Hemingway were the first people I thought of upon seeing the thread title. Then, after further thought, Alan Turing.

Not quite the 20th century, though.

And, in one sense, they’re not really all that famous: How many of their names do you know?

If you really want suicides who are famous for whom they took with them, how about Phil Hartman’s wife?

Nevermind

Hunter S. Thompson and R. Budd Dwyer.

Thich Quang Duc might just qualify as a famous suicide.

Nitpick, but Hunter S. Thompson did not commit suicide in the 20th century.

At the top of the sports world, you have to include Donnie Moore.

Freddie Prinze, up-and-coming young (he was only 22) star of the TV series “Chico and the Man” made headlines when he killed himself on January 28, 1977. His death was initially ruled as a suicide, but later was re-ruled as “accidental due to the influence of Quaaludes.” Also contributing to the ruling of accidental death was the presence of his business manager, as suicidal people rarely kill themselves in the presence of witnesses. Also, Prinze had a history of pulling practical jokes such as playing with guns and faking suicide attempts in order to frighten his friends for his own amusement.

If you are going to count drug overdoses, the list is quite long -

Famous Drug Overdoses

I had always thought of Monroe’s death to be more disputed. Looking it up after seeing her suggested so quickly (and doubly) in this Thread. Seems “Probable Suicide” came straight from the coroner and that other causes delve into conspiracy theory territory. I had always written murder off as conspiracy theory silliness, but I had always thought of it as a probable accidental overdose possible suicide.

The 9/11 Terrorists and WWII Kamikaze pilots are not popularly known by name.

I can accept the inclusion of Hitler on the list though I think his suicide was so very much the least noteworthy item in his biography.

Brynn Hartman and the Columbine Shooters? For some reason I feel like Murder/Suicide ought to be a separate category. However, I can’t persuade myself that there is any reasonable justification for creating a separate category so I guess they count. I just think that in both those cases it was the murders that were so famous and the suicides almost incidental- maybe that’s why I wouldn’t have included Hitler or others from his court.

I almost excluded Budd Dwyer from my own list simply because his fame really is because of his suicide, but then I reasoned that “fame because of suicide” actually has more merit on a “Famous Suicides” list rather than less merit. Following this reasoning, I agree Thich Quang Duc qualifies.

Accidental death by one’s own hand is still an accidental death. In suicide there is the intent to take one’s own life.

I have never heard it seriously suggested that either Hendrix or Jim Morrison committed suicide.

Charles Boyer killed himself with barbituates two days after his wife of more than forty years died.

Yeah, drug overdoses only count when they are intentional.

Speaking of Family Feud…http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Combs

Nope, not a nitpick. Good call.

Doing the research would dull the point of my response:

Who?

re Ray Combs:
Good Answer! Good Answer!

Since we’re nitpicking based on whether or not the suicides occurred during the 20th century, it’s worth pointing out that the 9/11 hijackers missed the cut-off by 9 months and 11 days.

Also, while several people have mentioned R. Budd Dwyer’s suicide, I didn’t see anyone mention that it even had a fairly popular song written about it: Hey Man Nice Shot - Wikipedia

Since we’re nitpicking what constitutes the 20th century, it’s worth pointing out that September 11th, is eight months and eleven days after the cutoff. :stuck_out_tongue:

George Eastman, chronically ill and in intense pain, committed suicide.

Edwin Howard Armstrong, the inventor of FM radio, killed himself after years of dirty tricks and legal harassment by David Sarnoff drove him to bankruptcy and a mental breakdown.

Jean Seberg’s suicide in 1979 was the final result of a mental breakdown that occurred after a campaign of harassment and dirty tricks by FBI head J. Edgar Hoover caused her to suffer a miscarriage.

Cheery topic for a thread.

I couldn’t remember the name of a blonde actress from the 60’s who I really liked and who killed herself. The first Google hit was this article, which got me the name I was looking for – Inger Stevens – but also mentioned Carole Landis. I didn’t know that! I wasn’t around when it happened, but it must have been a shocker. Carole Landis!

And the Hale-Bopp suicides.