Who were the Swinging Brothers of Viipuri?

I’ve been reading up on the works of Sibelius, lately, and I’m puzzled by a couple of items in the list … In 1921, he wrote a piece (no opus number) titled “March of the Swinging Brothers of Viipuri”. And, in 1929, he wrote another, unrelated, “March of the Swinging Brothers of Viipuri”. Obviously, the Swinging Brothers of Viipuri were important to him, in some way … so, my question is, who the **** were they?

Given Sibelius’s tendency to write strongly patriotic music, and the fact that Viipuri is referenced in the titles of some of his other historically-themed works, I guess they’re something important to the history of Finland. And the “Brothers” bit implies a religious order … but my mind slightly boggles at the idea of Finnish wife-swapping monks … All I’ve got from Google is references to jazz bands, which I guess is not what Sibelius had in mind …

So. If there’s anywhere I can find out who the Swinging Brothers of Viipuri are (or were), it’s the SDMB. Any takers?

In Finnish, this is “Viipurin Lauluveikkojen Marssi”, which I’d translate as “March of the Singing Fellows of Viipuri”. “Singing Fellows of Viipuri”, OTOH, are a rather prominent and long-lasting choir of singers, and Sibelius wrote their honorary march. Nothing particularily patriotic.

Interestingly, I’ve pondered about patriotic songs for a last couple of hours thanks to repeated listenings of “Battle Hymn of the Republic”, and came to the conclusion that the closest Finland has to it would be “Jääkärimarssi”, that friendly piece of music beginning with (approximate translation, I don’t know if there’s any official translation around) “Our strike is deep and our hatred undefeatable” and goes on to talk about swords and freedom not to forget how East Carelia should be a part of Finland and all that other good triumphalist stuff. One of Sibelius’s pieces, of course.

(Battle Hymn of the Republic, incidentally, is the melody to a Finnish children’s song that goes something like “Little Matti’s car has a broken wheel, little Matti’s car has a broken wheel, little Matti’s car has a broken wheel, we fix it with bubble gum”)

…I should go to sleep.

You mean, it’s just a typo in the translation? On the one hand, it’s an enormous relief to have that puzzle solved … on the other … well … it’s a bit of a disappointment, isn’t it? Ah, well … Thanks for that!

(I’m looking at my little booklets in my Sibelius CDs … don’t seem to have a translation for the “Jääkärimarssi” lyrics … several others, but not that one …

**Swinging Brothers of Viipuri ** would be a most excellent band name.