Whoo-hoo! South Carolina builds giant fetus memorial

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/news/local/5718279.htm

“ABORTION STATUE: The House Ways and Means Property Tax Subcommittee approved a bill Tuesday to build a monument outside the Statehouse memorializing “unborn children who have given their lives because of legal abortion.” The monument would be a 6-foot statue of a fetus on a 2-foot base placed on Statehouse grounds where it can be seen from the road.”

You can just tell that this is going to be incredibly tasteful. Thank goodness they finally got this finished so that they can move on to less important things like finally getting around to approving the observance of Martin Luther King day.

Whoo-boy…

So if this project gets cancelled, will they have to build a memorial for the aborted statue of an aborted fetus? :confused:

Ellis, just for that sly remark, you’ll be the first with your back against the wall when the revolution comes.

I feel cheated! I wanted a photo…

Seriously, it’s too bad we didn’t take them up on that secession offer. Is it too late?

Oh, shit, don’t let the PETA folks know. Next we’ll have a slaughtered cow memorial.

I think there should be a giant bug memorial for the poor victims of pesticide. Imagine a giant Aphid right beside the washington monument…I can see it now.

A STATUE OF A FETUS? I’m moderately pro-life, but dear God, is life turning into The Onion or something?

Oh, and drm, perhaps you would be interested in the boll weevil monument.

I can just see the little kids that will be crawling on the statue… “Billy! Get off that fetus!”

So then who’s going to memorialize all the recently paired sperm and ovum?

No, no, no. You’ve got it all wrong. This has nothing to do with abortion. They’re just expressing their love for Stanley Kubrick’s 2001

You know, I always thought that was a joke by Ray Stevens. :eek:

Oh goody!

Thank God those fetuses bravely gave their lives to preserve our rights to legal abortions… like that time when Pvt. Fetus threw himself onto a grenade that had been lobbed at an OB/GYN’s office, sacrificing himself for the greater good. If anyone deserves a statue, it’s brave souls like him.

Call me when they build the giant cancerous lung memorial, in memory of all the poor souls who lost their lives due to legal cigarettes.

I hope they also put up a memorial to single mothers and single fathers too.

How about spending some more of South Carolina’s money on homeless children? That’s only if they are really pro-life though.

They can not possibly realize how painful that image will be to women who have had stillborn children.

Thankfully, it looks like they’ve (sort of) come to their senses and at least decided to tone it down a bit. It’s now planned to be a more subtle memorial in a quiet area. Personally, I’d be a lot happier if that quiet area was inside someone’s private residence instead of the State House grounds, but I guess it beats the hell out of a stone fetus the size of a full-grown man.

Yes, they may be reactionary, but remember: South Carolina has legal fireworks and automatic knives (i.e., switchblades).

Also, some bars in Mrytle Beach stay open and serve beer 24/7 (tho liquor gets cut off at 2am).

So these people do know how to have fun.

Weapons, incendiary devices, and alcoholics. Now that’s a winning combination.

:rolleyes:

For the sake of accuracy, it really should be a statue of an embryo, not a fetus.

Actually, there is actually less to this than it appears. Some background:

One of the long-time “fixtures” around Columbia, SC is the “Abortion Guy.” (*He does have a name, but I won’t post it here.) For the past 12 or so years he has walked around with abortion “stuff” (placards, photos, fetus models) promoting his cause–often on the State Capitol grounds. Lately he has also taken to the (radio) airwaves. From what I gather, he had talked to his representative who agreed to bring it up. I suspect–this is just my opinion–that the rep convinced the committee to approve it, knowing full well that it would never see the light of day. However, he could still report to his constituent that he had done what he could.

BTW, this person, the “Abortion Guy,” is the sole reason for this embarrassment.

*However, to describe him–he looks sorta like Marvin Kaplan from the TV series “Alice.”