Who's an SEC Doper?

If you’d like to compare notes with earlier responses to similar threads (that I know about) check out:

SEC Fans: Stand and be counted
06-07-2010, 09:36 AM
Zeldar

College football fans: how’s your team look? – 2011 Version
09-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Zeldar

Which college football teams are you a legitimate fan of – and why?
09-14-2014, 12:30 PM
Zeldar

===============================================

I am through marriage. Go Gamecocks.

This is not.

I’m a lifelong Georgian, but an ACC guy - best of both worlds!

I don’t fit the OP’s criteria, but I am a Florida Gator.

Vandy grad here

Kentucky alum (2x) and member of the Big Blue Nation, and still live here.

Not a student, but a former employee of Vanderbilt. Still live in TN.

Texas here.

I live in Florida. My local university is an ACC school. I went to college in a different part of the state, also at an ACC school.
I won’t claim I’m in an SEC state. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the explanation. If there were a simpler way to have referred to this region of states than “SEC” maybe the responses would have been different. I just wanted a way to get a feel for how this region stacks up against that other thread about the DC area. I’m half expecting a West Coast head count or even the Midwest.

No worries - just showing a little school spirit. I know what you meant. :slight_smile:

I was born in a Western state, but then we moved to Arkansas when I was two years old and then to Texas a month before my sixth birthday, where I remained until age 29.

I had to google SEC though. I assume it’s Southeastern Conference and not Securities and Exchange Commission. Is that something new, or does it apply just to East Texas? Never heard it in West Texas.

Mizzou grad. However, we weren’t in the SEC when I attended.

According to Southeastern Conference - Wikipedia Texas A&M joined the conference in 2012. No other Texas schools so far.

My use of SEC as a grouping term for the states involved has been unfortunate since the football aspect has overtaken the original intent which was to identify Dopers from the region.

If you didn’t mean the football aspect, then I’m not sure what SEC means. Southeast something? But what does the C stand for?

During my 24 years in Texas, it was never considered Southeast, although that could have just been a West Texas thing. No telling what the East Texans thought. We were always the South Plains. I understand in recent years they’ve taken to including themselves with the Southwest, but no one where I lived identified with the Southwest when I was growing up. Maybe they did around El Paso, but certainly not up where I was. But the last couple of times I was there, toward the end of last century, I saw Albuquerque-style coyote motifs had sprung up on coffee mugs and the like for the tourists, an obvious attempt to siphon off some of the Southwest cachet.

Conference. Please see my previous post.

Ah, so it’s still Conference. I always identify that word with football. Although my Texas university was not in the Southeast Conference, it was in some sort of conference that grouped together all the major Texas schools plus the University of Arkansas. Not being a sports fan, I don’t even remember the exact name of the conference now, just that it wasn’t Southeast.

I think as a whole, Texas was just considered the South. Never Southeast.

That would have been the Southwest Conference (SWC). It fell apart in the 1996. I thought it was a shame, but in today’s TV market, a “Texas Conference” just couldn’t make it. Too many of the major TV markets are outside of Texas.

Georgian by birth and education (Henry W. Grady School of Journalism.) Go Dawgs!