Who's shooting that song?

I was on my way to work and listening to a randomized set of tunes on my mp3 player when I heard “Love for Sale” by Bon Jovi followed by “Line of Fire” by Journey.

Love for Sale is a loose piece, sounding like something that was recorded in a jam session in the studio and later included on the album just on a whim. Late in the recording, Jon mentions a shotgun wedding and Tico smacks the snare drum sharply. Then, even while Richie continues on the guitar, Jon stops and says, “What the heck was that?”:dubious:

Tico says, “That was a shotgun for your wedding” and does it again. The other guys laugh and they wrap up the song.

The liner notes for “Line of Fire” are pretty clear: the drummer had figured out how to imitate a gun shot and wanted to record a song to include one. So they did. It’s pretty good (better than Tico’s attempt years later) although it sounds more like a rifle shot than a blast from “Frankie’s” shotgun that is mentioned in the song.

By the time that song was done, I was at work already and shut off my tunes. But I started wondering what other songs include (or try to include) the sound of a gun (real or imitated) as part of the music. And, since I figured I’d start a thread here about it, I figured I’d encourage responders to tell us how good the ‘interpretation’ was, as well.

My old friend once played a recording of the 1812 Overture, complete with real canons in the finale. He noted it was remarkable because previously most recording equipment couldn’t record the first canon blast and continue recording (this was the early 1980’s) and it sounded great.

So, who else wants to give it a shot?

—G!

The first one that comes to mind is “The Unknown Soldier” by the Doors.

There’s also “I Fought the Law” by the Bobby Fuller Four, where they accent the lyric “Robbing people with a six-gun” by playing two triplets (i.e., six shots) under the word “six-gun”.

Certainly MIA’s “Paper Planes.”

Roy C - “Shotgun Wedding”
R. Dean Taylor - “Indiana Wants Me”

Both UK hits in the early seventies and featuring pistol/rifle fire sounds.

The opening of The Clash’s “Tommy Gun” features a “rat-ta-tat” snare roll which would seem to be trying to give the effect of a machine gun.

I suppose offering Nancy Sinatra’s “Bang Bang” might be stretching things a bit…

The Ballad of Bonnie & Clyde by Georgie Fame. A favorite of my youth.

“Shotgun” by Jr. Walker and the All-Stars begins with a gunshot sound.

Western Movies

For Those About To Rock
AC/DC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKhTk0IynHM

The Homecoming Queen’s Got a Gun, by Julie Brown.

[sub]FWIW, I found this song hilarious when I was an immature college kid. After the shooting at Columbine, I feel guilty laughing at it.[/sub]

Holding out for a hero has drums sounding like gunfire
http://youtu.be/7f_HsjpSVaI

In the same vein as MIA, there’s Bone Thugs N Harmony with Tupac doing “Thug Luv” which is just straight up shotgun sounds from shotguns.

I think Lars did a decent job of conveying “shooting” with his drums in Metallica’s “Shoot Me Again” and he was subtle about it. They mix the guitars in with it for more oomph.

(Oddly enough both of these songs just came up in succession on my WMP random playlist)

Wasn’t it about a loose piece?