Who's stupider? Wheaton college or the woman who wants to stay there?

Hard to understand why someone would fight to stay at Wheaton College. Their argument is beyond ludicrous - that Muslims’ god is different from Christians’ god. It’s similar to little kids fighting over who’s stronger - King Kong or Rodan? They’re arguing over a fictional character, for chrise sake. But the fact that this fundamentalist school wants to get rid of this ecumenical thinking professor of political science should be reason enough for her to want to be someplace else. Why on earth should she fight to be part of this corrupt, superstition-weilding organization? They’re both nuts.

Professorial jobs are hard to come by. Having a nice doss is something worth fighting for, especially when those who would fire you are imbeciles.

Would you want to give up your security and seniority, because some dipshit accused you of religious heterodoxy?

Do we have to choose?

It’s a religious school. This is going to be on ongoing issue, even if resolved in her favor this one time.

I agree. She should bail, and move to another school while her name is in the news and the kettle is hot.

If her c.v. is decent, I imagine there are lots of places that would welcome her, particularly right now.

Everyone here hates me, and they all wish I was gone, making my life miserable… but I’m going to show them by staying!!

Is Wesley Crusher a professor there mayhaps?

How about all those people acting shocked and getting their panties in a knot over an evangelical college firing a professor who wears a hijab and equates Islam and Christianity? Of course they’d do that, they’re fucking Christian fundamentalists.

It’s a dumb controversy.

A paycheck’s a paycheck…and if “they make my life miserable” that’s actionable in court also. Keep racking up those losses, Wheaton.

The college. The woman is kinda an activist, so staying in place where you aren’t happy is part of the deal. That’s often where you can make the most difference.

Wheaton college clearly has a thing about Muslims, seeing as they are shoehorning their statement of faith to try and push her out for supporting them.

There’s a reason why Jesus, who is God incarnate, hung out with sinners, despite sin absolutely detestable to God. You’d think they’d care about their own beliefs more.

I can think of few things I am LESS likely to be willing to do ever again than try to get a job. Maybe moving.

It would only be an ongoing issue if she was a professor of religion: she’s not. She’s in political science. I think you would find very few political science professors making these kinds of religious statements.

It is a religious school. Religious people feel their God is in every aspect of life and would be the exact type to attend or fund a religious college.

I’m actually a bit stunned that the college can even legally fire her for religious differences - seems like that’s kind of unconstitutional, right?

One article about the situation mentioned another professor being fired for converting to Catholicism.

I’d heard of the college before, but only because a very close friend attended it (35+ years ago… he got better).

Not to attack you in particular, but this attitude is why things don’t get fixed. Wah! People don’t like me, so I’m gonna run away and hide!

I just don’t get it. Sure, it’s hard to stay where you are not liked, and people are intentionally trying to trip you up. I don’t begrudge anyone who retreats from such a situation.

But that doesn’t mean it’s a good thing to shame the people who do stick it out, who do put their cause above having people like them. Sure, you might think their cause is stupid, but that’s the cause, not the behavior.

And I for one don’t think it’s stupid. It’s high time this contradiction between how we think of Judaism and Islam is challenged. It’s high time that someone focus on our commonalities with our Muslim brethren (which in evangelical speak includes women) instead of our differences.

We do all claim to worship the same Abrahamic God. Even if you think Muslims are mistaken, it should be okay to acknowledge this. If Westley can at least accept that it’s something not to quibble about (ala Romans 14), that’s a big win for the evangelical community.

Why wouldn’t she want to have a voice in what I assume is her religious community?

Religions are not made of a bunch of hive-minded Borg people. They are made of individuals who have opinions, and there are always people who want to make things a little more liberal, and people who want to make things a little more conservative. That tension and those conversations are how the path to the future is developed.

There are feminist Mormons. There are conservative Unitarians. There are lots of Catholics that would like to see the whole birth control thing rethought. These people don’t want to abandon their entire religion and community because they have a different opinion. They want their religion and their community to get (what they consider) better.

No, the Constitution says that the Government cannot establish a state religion. It doesn’t say what a religion-based church, college or business can do about its own employment policy.

Not true, John Mace. I like you.
…but, then again, I like this guy, too, so be that as it may.

It’s not true that no one likes her. She has quite a few students who like her as a professor.

If I were fired from my job for bullshit reasons, I probably wouldn’t have the ovaries to fight back. And that’s why I’m never going to be Person of the Year.

She likely has faculty and staff that support her as well. It’s not like the evangelical community all holds one position and nobody varies. A lot of people have a lot of visions of where their version of faith is going, and this professor is part of that discussion.