Whose death could eclipse Michael Jackson's?

Not just Obama but any of he US presidents still living.

Oooh, Tom Cruise dying would be an explosion across the web of xenu filled jokes and photoshops.
But I imagine the Queen of England’s demise would be pretty much full coverage, pomp and circumstance funeral that we will never see again in our life times.

Without a doubt Muhammed Ali . front page world wide

Ted Kennedy, if someone were to assassinate him?

Or if one of Diana’s boys died in a freak accident?

Paul, of course - people have been buzzing about his death for years.

The answer is Tiger Woods. He is an international star and a huge celebrity. But unlike Elvis and Micheal, he is in very good physical condition. That would make it that much harder to accept.

I think probably Paul McCartney’s death would do it; he’s one of the biggest celebrities of the 20th century & half of one of (arguably) the greatest songwriting teams ever.

(He’d better not die before July 23rd, though, 'cause I’m going to see him at CitiField on the 22nd.).

John Denver?

I hate to break it to you but Ted Kennedy is going to die soon anyway (like within a few months to a year). He is old, has incurable brain cancer, and is a raging alcoholic. Not everyone likes the Kennedy family but everyone agrees that they are extremely accomplished when it comes to climbing into a casket. I am surprised Teddy has lived this long. I want his doctors.

I am not sure why people are picking older people like Paul McCartney. Everyone dies. The shock value comes when it is completely unexpected like Princess Diana and Michael Jackson and it makes for much better sensational press. Just because someone is more influential than other stars like Paul McCartney is doesn’t mean that his death would have as much shock value as a much younger person. What if he was 80 or 90?

I’d think it would matter a great deal how they died. If, say, the Pope was shot to death by the Secret Service while trying to assassinate Obama; that would be bigger news. Dropping dead of a heart attack, probably not.

The “how” would play a big part.

F’rinstance – sorry audit1, but if Muhammed Ali was found dead tomorrow morning, having passed peacefully in his sleep from natural causes, then there it would make headlines. And the next day, it would be back to Michael.

If Ali were found dead tomorrow morning, having passed in his sleep from being eviscerated by suspects unknown, then we’d be done hearing about MJ.

Bob Dylan.

Not because he’s necessarily more popular among the general public - although he’s arguably a bigger icon with a much greater cultural impact - but because most senior network executives and newspaper editors are Boomers, and Boomers worship Dylan above all others. If Bob died they’d order 24-hour coverage of his passing, rending their clothing and wailing about how the Sixties are over and their oh-so-special generation is dying.

I agree that Paul McCartney would probably be enough to eclipse MJ. There would be innumerable Beatles retrospectives, fans grieving, etc. Over his lifetime, he’s a bigger star IMO (just barely, though) than Michael Jackson, and doesn’t have the taint of pedophilia charges diminishing his legacy.

Remembering this made me cry. :frowning:

I’m probably being whooshed here, but you do know he’s dead already, right?

I’ve read all the options, and the only one that rings true for me is President Obama. Prince William or Harry are almost there, but there isn’t anyone in the world-wide fame business who combines Michael Jackson’s unique combination of extremely popular for generations plus extremely weird behaviour plus ongoing media coverage plus surprise death due to being healthy and young.

I never would have expected that Jackson’s death would be such a media sensation, so my ability to predict such things is clearly questionable.

I can think of many international celebrities whose sudden deaths would be more surprising, though. Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie immediately spring to mind, but it’s hard to think of a public figure who doesn’t look healthier and seem more mentally stable than Jackson has for the past 10-15 years.

Yes yes yes. JFKs death was a huge event that stopped all the news for a week. FDR 's death was the same. Millions lined the streets for his death. They were both far bigger than this one.

:smiley: Then a second death would certainly eclipse all the others, eh?

I think Barack Obama would be about the only person whose death could eclipse MJ’s right now. That or another September 11th.

I think Queen Elizabeth.
Firstly - the death might come as no “shock”, given her age, but there would be the news stories on her life, etc. Plus the grand funeral.
Then the speculation - Charles or William?
Then of course the Coronation.
All in all, several weeks of non-stop news, followed by more news.