Why Adventure Games peaked so early

I wouldn’t say he was blaming anyone for anything. He was stating that the market changed so the product changed with it.

Wow! I had no idea Myst lived on! Thanks, guys.

I was into the 2nd one when I was pregnant and then when I had the baby, things like Myst were replaced by things like Bob the Builder.

Maybe I’ll look into it again. realMyst sounds interesting

You also need a lot more will power to get the most out of an adventure game in these days when walkthroughs are only a google away.

Yes. The point I was making is that they didn’t die out. They waned for a bit, but never really quit being made. Games like Portal are actually very popular, in fact.

I read a similar explanation by Lowe years ago that additionally suggested that Myst helped bury the genre. The boom in non-technical people aquiring computers co-incided with the rise of the critically acclaimed Myst, which a lot of people bought due to exuberant praise and discovered it was way beyond them, and effectively the well was poisoned from then on.

Telltale Games still makes excellent point-and-click adventure games. I have complained about their heavy reliance on licensed properties like Jurassic Park and Back to the Future, because in trying to draw those fans they have basically dumbed down the games. But even those are good fun, and are well worth the price to pick up after the price has gone down. But they’ve got some excellent titles in their back catalog:

Sam & Max, Seasons 1-3 - The gold standard for point-and-click adventure games. Quite challenging without ever bogging down into doldrums. The puzzles delight with their cleverness and humor. The dialogue itself is frequently hilarious.

Puzzle Agent 1+2 - A quirky story wrapped around a series of classic puzzle-magazine-type puzzles. Weird and wonderful.

Strong Bad’s Cool Games for Attractive People - A successful conversion of the Strong Bad humor into an adventure game, with Telltale’s characteristic flair for clever puzzle design.

I have purchased most of their games, and there are none I wouldn’t recommend. But right now, their individual games are priced like practically new. The only discounts they’re giving is for a package of eleven games for $45, but that right there would be a pretty good value if it only included the Sam & Max games.

Although I got in on the Kickstarter project for the new Double Fine point-and-click adventure, the fact is that Telltale has been doing a fine job keeping the genre alive.

That’s exactly my point. Portal is not an Adventure Game, it’s an FPS based around puzzle solving.

Lowe’s trying to claim that Adventure Games died out because computer ownership shifted away from the kind of people who like to solve puzzles.

Which is demonstrably nonsense, when you look at the amount of puzzle solving in other genres. And, of course, the fact that the vast majority of the product put out in the genre was so terribly designed as to make ‘solving puzzles’ impossible.

I thought it was Jim Carrey’s fault.

Doesn’t seem likely, IMHO. Myst’s sequel Riven sold 4.5 million copies, which doesn’t fit with the idea that Myst turned people off of adventure games.

Yep. The Tomb Raider series features a ton of puzzle solving, yet it took off just as adventure games died.

A Portal “gun” is not a weapon. Portal is not a FPS. It is, however, a first person adventure game. :dubious:

If Portal is anything besides a shooter, it’s a platformer. It’s only an adventure game by the kind of crazy thinking that produced most of that genre’s puzzles.

Explain to me what you mean by adventure game? Does Syberia count? Myst, surely? List a game(s) that you consider “adventure” and the elements that make it so. This way, at least we can speak the same dialect here… :confused:

Adventure Games are am interactive storytelling medium that doesn’t involve action, stats &c that you’d find in other genres, like FPS, Platformers, or RPGs

I think that article including VNs in the AG umbrella is pushing it a little bit…while I can see the logic, I’d count them as a separate genre, as they’ve got totally different gameplay than any of the AG subgenres. (And may not have any real gameplay at all.)

According to your prerequisites, and that article, Portal IS an adventure game!

Every new generation of games always tries to take advantage of the technology. Adventure games really don’t require that. Some flashy graphics, sure, but Quest for Glory is just as much fun as The Longest Journey. An innovative company like Valve can do a game like Portal, but its rare that an adventure game requires the manual dexterity it takes to play a FPS

I’m really not sure where you got the idea that Portal was devoid of action.

It is an action game, where half the challenge of the later puzzles is timing things just right.

I played Myst IV about a year ago for the first time. I got bored watching the movies and didn’t have the patience for the puzzles.

Now, some in this thread have implied such puzzles are “beyond” some people, but I don’t think they are that hard; they just require you to patiently look at one static screen or area longer than most people can be bothered.
It’s the same reason I couldn’t now sit and play pacman for longer than a few minutes…I expect more variety and more of a payoff now. And that’s not a bad thing.

Robertta Williams, creator of beloved adventure games King’s Quest and Phantasmagoria makes a similar claim.

I cut my teeth on adventure games like Monkey Island, Space Quest and King’s Quest and I don’t really like those same types of games today. The big challenge with a lot of those games is simply trying to figure out the mindset of the creators in order to figure out the solution to the puzzles. While I had enough patience for these games in 1989 I don’t have a whole lot of patience for them today.

In other news, horsewhips used to be more popular 150 years ago because people used to love whipping.

Seriously, I don’t think anyone is suggesting that if a time traveler brought Skyrim or Grand Theft Auto III back to 1987, people would say “no thanks, I’d rather play Space Quest”.

1. The legendary Old Man Murray article on The Death of Adventure Games - an epic takedown of a Roberta Williams designed puzzle by the guy who would go on to write Portal. The conclusion is as true today as it was in 2000.

2. In addition to the examples above, the casual Hidden Object Games genre is full of adventure games, only substituting the hidden object scenes for the non-stop pixel hunts. These games are hugely popular.

3. It’s true that games today are not as brutally difficult as they were in the eighties. But harder is not the same thing as better. No one today would put up with, say, the sudden death scenes in Laura Bow - that’s because sudden death scenes are bullshit.

4. Al Lowe needs to make peace with the fact that Leisure Suit Larry just is not a major literary achievement.