Why all the aviation activity over PA?

Today while trying to drag myself through the workday (I work outside in South Central, PA) I noticed a lot of smaller aircraft around my small town. Most of the planes were of a smaller size (I’d say regular sized cessna’s). Others were mid size aircraft, but there was definitly a large increase today in air traffic. Any dopers that might be able to lcue me in on this mystery?

Thanks
Robert

I live and go to school in South Central PA, as well. No clue on the increase in air traffic; in fact, I didn’t notice any increase at all. Perhaps this was just a good day to go flying after the rainstorms of the past few weeks.

Robin

I live in south central PA too (Gettysburg area) and haven’t noticed any increase, though I cant’ say I’m prone to looking up often. There is a small airport near here that mostly caters to skydivers. They are much more active during the summer. Personally, I’m of the opinion that there’s never any reason to jump out of a perfectly good airplane, but apparently there are quite a few folks who disagree with me.

What you may be seeing is the normal increase in the use of small private planes by folks enjoying their summer vacations.

If you can give me the name of a nearby town or, better yet, the airport all this activity was centered around I could check and see if there was some sort of aviation event going on.

Or it could be as simple as an airport having a really good price on fuel.

It’s not uncommon for a small airport to have a “fly in”, which is basically a party for pilots, or a small-scale airshow. It would be uncommon for this to happen on a Monday.

A few years ago the Latrobe, Pennsylvania airport had an airshow. I was taking my kids for a drive in the area, and we stopped for supplies at a KMart near the airport. My son was 8 at the time, and he had fallen asleep in the car. As we drove by the airport my daughter and I watched some of the plane stunts going on.

After parking in the KMart lot, I woke my son and we proceeded into the store. As we walked through the lot, a large plane flew over our heads…very low, and did a barrel roll. My son freaked. The combination of the plane passing directly over us and his sister and dad acting like it was no big deal totally unnerved him. :smiley: