Why am I getting blue and grey circles for threads I've never read>

Went back and checked on it. Grey dot now says 91 unread posts.

It’s in GQ, by the way. And now at 117 unread posts.

Likely the topic was split, or replies were otherwise deleted / removed.

There are apparentlty 16 unread posts in “Why are CNN articles greyed on my iPhone?” a thread with four posts total.

And now there are 24 unread posts in that thread, but only 4 posts.

I’d wait until we merge the blue/grey circle concept together. That should roll out within 4 weeks. As for counts being greater than the total, ask a moderator if any replies were deleted or merged into another topic. That’s the most likely explanation.

Has the whole system been refactored? If so, I hope it eliminates thslis glitch/bug.

Any other changes going live at the same time?

I just also want to note that I may have discovered a pattern. It seems to happen when my internet connection glitches. It’s like the system records my place in a thread at that point, and never resets it even if I post.

And, when it does so, it doesn’t check to see that I have those numbers disabled, so it shows them.

If so you might be able to repro with f12 tools where, for developer testing, you can turn on and off your network to simulate network loss, or set your network to “crappy mode” to simulate poor or limited reception.

Discourse actually does quite well in poor reception scenarios – once you download the JavaScript bundle that is the Discourse app, we only send the amount of new data necessary to update the screen.

The flip side is that our kryptonite weakness is one-and-done single drive by visitors, who pay the entire price of downloading the “app”, only to view a single page with it. But for avid users, the Discourse design is a clear win. And that’s who we did design for. If not avid, at least reasonably common usage… what’s the point of a community you rarely visit, or only visit once? That’s just a news page.

Can you not do both by sending the most important parts of the application first (i.e. the posts and a bit of the decoration)? You know, kinda like how YouTube sends the video itself first, but still loads a full app.

As for the rest of your post: I will look into testing connection issues. It should be a bit easier now that the red line is back.

Yes, but it’s technically very difficult, for the same reasons listed here