Why am I now seeing the term "unalived" all over the place instead of the much shorter "killed" or "died"?

Semantic saturation achieved. You’re safe.

I think the term is even older than that. I remember first hearing the term “to make unalive” in the Doctor Who story “Paradise Towers”, which was first aired in 1987.

Of course, that had nothing to do with censorship. That term was used mostly to make the Kangs street gangs in the story speak exotically.

Hence, my phrasing of the modern usage which was explicitly derived from the Spiderman cartoon.

…buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo?

Why are you typing that? That’s not even a word.

Facebook post. A key sentence is

Sometime in late November 1981, he used his remaining fuel to make a warm fire and sh*t himself to end his suffering.

The comments were about what anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together would have expected.

True, but it’s also an acknowledgment that the authority figures have power over you. You’re adapting to them instead of them adapting to you.

Agreed. But most people, given the choice, don’t really want to live a life of constant struggle against great power.

The light easy way out is the baby accommodations to powr. Coupled to the hope things will get better. Rather than putting in the hard work to force things to get better.

Most of the people who work hard to force change never live to see the results. The struggle itself must be sufficient reward for them, because there is no other reward available. Everyone else is free riding, whether consciously or not.

because youtube wants things to be family friendly so that advertisers are interested

I’m hardly a revolutionary myself, but you don’t have to be a revolutionary to engage in a little civil disobedience.

Just saw a post on a Facebook account (“Morbid Knowledge”) that obviously automatically replaces the word “died” with “passed away” in their posts.

Megan Oxley passed away from heatstroke after her car ran out of gas in extreme heat and, being paralyzed from the waist down, she was unable to escape.

The 36-year-old became stranded on a Missouri highway in August 2023 as temperatures exceeded 100°F (38°C) and her phone eventually passed away.

Two young relatives managed to leave the vehicle and survived after treatment for heat exposure, but Oxley remained trapped inside and d*ed.

That poor phone.

I don’t think it is an automatic Facebook function. I just posted that I accidentally forgot to plug in my phone last night and killed it, and it posted the word “killed”, just as I typed it.

I mean the person running the account doing a find/replace on their own posts before posting.

When we announce a death at work we use the phrase “transitioned.” As in Odesio transitioned on March 5, 2026. It’s weird as hell.

There is a well-known, and probably apocrafil, story from back in precomputer times when people wrote memos.

A government minister wrote a long rambling memo as a round robin to his staff. When it came back with notes attached, he saw that someone had simply written “Balls”.

The minister enquired, “Who is Balls and to what does he object?”

G’rape’ or G’raped’ is another trend I’m hearing in conversations referencing sexual assault.

What, like being violated by Grimace?

I hate this timeline.

I really HATE that euphemism. People that have been raped do not deserve to have that horrible experience trivialized and lessened in such a manner. :enraged_face:

The irony of it is that presenters who use these idiotic substitutes are people who seem least likely to be in favor of trivializing sexual violence, murder or suicide. They capitulate because they don’t want to be demonetized by the media platforms where disambiguated language is penalized. But in the next breath they’ll drop f-bombs without hesitation.

I’m mostly seeing the actual words plus a tastefully placed asterisk or two.

:exploding_head:

Credit for using it appropriately and at least sounding it out, I guesss