Words you Hate but have resigned yourself they are here to stay

What are some words or terms you don’t like but you realize it’s a lost battle and you use them or at least accept them anyway. Here are some of mine:

App. Apps is fine you are talking about a phone. Programs on phones are indeed apps but when talking about a PC it grates on my ear. But the term has pretty much stuck, especially with Windows 10. All software are apps now.

9/11. For many years I resisted summing up the attacks of September 11th 2001 with the term “Nine-Eleven”. It seemed disrespectful to me somehow (it still does to be honest). I made a point to call them “the attack on September 11th” or “the events of September 11th” but at some point calling it 9/11 just slipped out. I still don’t like it but here it is.

This one I am still resisting but I think the fight is lost: saying “Screen saver” when you mean “Wallpaper”. The background of your Desktop or phone is Wallpaper! But if enough people say something wrong it becomes right. Language is the ultimate democracy and this one is almost there.

What are some of yours?

blog

Hashtag

“Hoover” when referring to a vacuum cleaner not made by the Hoover corporation. This one has been going on since before I was born though so the fight was lost even before I was aware there was something to be annoyed about.

Huh… I don’t think I’ve ever heard this one before (“Screen Saver” being used to refer to “Wallpaper”).

“Vacay”

When people write “breath” when the sentence calls for “breathe”. I see it all over the place now.

I completely agree with “app” and the OP’s distinction regarding usage of same.

I wish AWESOME would just get sucked into a black hole and disappear. Completely worn out.

I would also like to see an end to “you guys” applied indiscriminately to people of all ages, genders, and stations in life. When a waiter walks up to a table of elderly women (of whom I’m one) and says, “What can I get you guys?” I want to stab him with a butter knife.

I’m sure I’ll think of more, as I’m in a pretty cranky mood this morning.

hate

Worse than this is the title “blogger” to anyone who is considered an expert on a topic just because they wrote stuff on the internet.

This isn’t exactly what the OP is looking for but I’ve bitched about here before and will continue to every time we have a thread that’s even remotely related: the round, chocolate covered peanut butter candy is pronounced REEsez, as in “a creation belonging to Mr. Reese”, not goddamn fecking REEseez, as if it rhymes with feces. Hence the name “Reese’s Pieces”. 'Cause they rhyme; get it? :smack: Drives me up a wall, I tell ya.

Alot.

Hate is a bit too strong though. It’s just that whenever I encounter it, my eyes sort of stumble over it like a protruding paving stone.

“Begging the question,” used in the non-philosophical sense. I hate it, but it’s not going away.

And then there are the “special” children.

And of course “sherbert.”

Orientate. It’s just a longer word for “Orient”.

“SOOO Cute!”

Just makes me want to punch you in the throat.

Baby Momma, Baby Daddy

“Because reasons.”

“Sad,” used as a noun. As in, “I has a sad.”

Likewise, “feels” used as a noun. As in, “That gives me so many feels!”

“Hate”. Treated as a four-letter word when raising my children.

Not really a word, more of a phrase, so I hope it qualifies:
Price point.
Fuck price point. “What does that cost?” Fine. “What is the price point?” I fart in your general direction!

My GF calls those sleeveless shirts “wife beaters”. I HATE it, but I let her get away with it because she says I look sexy in them. (I don’t but it’s nice that she thinks so.)

Another thread has just reminded me “bleu cheese” It’s blue cheese in English (or presumably fromage bleu in French): bleu cheese is a hybrid abomination.