Why are most touchy about subjects like religion, politics, etc.

OK, if this should be somewhere else a moderator can move it.

I’m curious to hear what people’s opinions are on why beliefs in things like religion and politics are so strong. I mean, how often is there a debate over whether or not magenta is a good color, or the right color for something? Most people could care less whether or not someone doesn’t like their favorite color, but if you tell them you think differently politically or religously, you end up getting into a debate or preached at.

Just wonderin’ what everyone thinks about this. I think its kind of funny when you really stop to think about it.

I think there’s a very easy explanation. Religion and political view are some of our strongest beliefs. They go to the core of who we are. Not that people with different political views can’t be very similar in all other areas…just that they’re two of the things that help to define a person.

As to why people are touchy about it? That’s really easy. Religion and politics are two things where absolutely no one is right (no one can PROVE they’re right), yet everyone thinks they’re right. That makes people touchy.

Jman

It’s a bit like a grammar debate, don’t you think?

As a corollary on Jman’s response, i’ve seen some incredibly intense arguments over things as mundane as which type of tire valve is better for bicycles.

Politics and religion are the things that most of us hold closest, but this doesn’t mean that many of us don’t hold other things close. Look at sports fans, for instance.

I get livid when I hear this! The phrase is “couldn’t care less”. The other way makes no sense.

:smiley: Sorry.
That was one of my favorite rants, borrowed from Steve Allen.
I don’t get excited about the other stuff.

Because ever so often, these are matters of life and death.

I’ve heard that the phrase really is “could care less”, and is meant to be spoken sarcastically, so it’s true meaning is the opposite of the literal meaning. Steven Pinker argues for this in “The Language Instinct.”

Arjuna34

To get back to the OP, I remember walking in on the first day of my college political science class and seeing the question “What are the stakes of politics?” written on the blackboard. I had no idea what it meant.

By the end of the class, we had learned that the “stakes” of politics, that is, what is at stake in political decisions, are EVERYTHING.

Although we in the United States have a stable government and a two-party system which tends to converge toward the center, the fact is that how we live our lives is in large part determined by the type of government under which we live. What kind of food you eat, and how much it costs; whether you have a home, what kind of home it is, and how much it costs to live there; what kind of job you do, what you get paid for it, how you get there and what you pay to get there; whether or not you are allowed to marry the person you love; how many children you have and how they are raised and educated; all of these things depend in some part on political decisions, and they are all things that we cherish deeply.

Religion affects not only the ways in which we live our daily lives, but also what we expect (or don’t expect) to happen to us in the afterlife. Some religions enjoin their adherents to convince the rest of the world that they are in the right as a means of saving the world or making it a better place.

We argue most passionately about religion and politics because they are the things that MATTER most.

My favorite colors are yellow and pink. Wanna make something of it?

There’s your answer as to forum. Off to IMHO.

Abortion.
How you raise your children.
Circumcision: (only applies to Jack Dean Tyler)
:smiley:

Because most people are using Politics and Religion to promote their own personal agenda. Is it the actual beliefs and doctrines, or the attitudes that come with. If I say “I believe in God”, you could probably care less. But if I say “In the name of God what you’re doing is wrong”, then we have a problem. Personally, leaving politics and religion out of it, I’ve found that you can take the most insignificant topic, come in with an attitude, and get some very heated discussion.

Because things like politics and religion have a signifigant affect on our lives. Whether or not magenta is a great color or not doesn’t have a signifigant affect on most of our lives. And I don’t always get into a debate or preached at with someone who things different on political or religious matters.

Marc