Why are produce boxes made by idiots?

I must agree with Suranyi about self checkout. They are a pain to pick off, but how wonderful not to have to talk to anyone at the grocery store!
:slight_smile:

The things I learn here - quite interesting about the boxes.

I thought the fruit stickers were, or are going to be, made from cornstarch so they’d dissolve. (and they’ve been around long enough that I would feel funny about buying a piece of produce w/o a sticker, like it was ‘wild’, or uninspected. or something.

Basically my point.

I certainly didn’t mean to imply that someone bright enough to be trusted with a cash register would be unable to differentiate between, say, red and yellow bell peppers; what I meant was, in addition to the fact that there are four different colors of bell peppers, each individual color has subsets: Organic red bell peppers, locally grown red bell peppers, standard red bell peppers, etc.

Joey P, thanks for the info about the boxes. I knew those holes served a purpose, I just didn’t know exactly what.

I don’t have any control over what cases I get. My purveyor switches from one grower/packer to the next as various growing regions go in and out of season. For example, Avocados are a disaster right now because Chili is finishing their season, and California’s output isn’t good this year, leaving Mexico to pick up all the slack.

As for produce stickers, and checkers knowing the numbers? That is their job. They should know the numbers. And a couple Dopers have demonstrated that they generally do know them.

Doesn’t your self-checkout system have a look-up-by-name feature? I hit that button, then type Z-U… then press zucchini. or B-U… and press the picture of the butternut squash. Its pretty convenient. They even have pictures of the donuts, so its not just for produce!

Are you forgetting that grocery stores tend to have very high turnover? Sure you can memorize most of the common stuff in a few months, but it seems like every time I got to my local store there’s at least a few new cashiers there.
Now, most of the stores I’ve been to have some type of “cheat sheet” that lists all the produce and codes, but it can take longer to pull it out and look it up than it does to glance down at what you’re ringing it up and get the code off the sticker. If it gets me out of the store a few minutes faster I think the stickers are a good thing.

OP, I’ll see your citrus boxes and raise you a 50-pound potato box.

A 50-pound box that is big and awkward. And has no handles whatsoever.

Or if there are handles, they’re cut so close to the top edge that the rip out almost immediately.

50# Potato boxes are nothing. I’ve been throwing those up on my shoulder since I was a wee lad. What’s always killed me was 50# bags of potatoes. Getting a grip on those is even harder. Even worse is those mesh bags of onions. Having to move 30 bags of those from one pallet to another will make your knuckles nice and raw. And bags in general don’t stack well on a hand truck. It’s really annoying to get a 6 bags all stack up only to have them all buckle as soon as you attempt to tip it back.

Interesting, While I have dealt with produce and their packaging for 30+ years, it never occurred to me to bitch about it. Not that the complaints arent valid, they are. Its just that I always had so many balls in the air, that I was happy enough just to get my product on time and in good condition.

Zucchini is easy to find. Small yellow onions, peeled takes a while. :slight_smile:

Hey, we can’t discriminate against the colorblind… they’re specially-abled. Red and green are just grey, or something like that, to them.

(not meant to disparage the colorblind, merely a sarcastic observation)

I don’t think I’d buy grey bell peppers!

:stuck_out_tongue:

What if they were in the 50% off bin?

The people that shop in my store will buy anything if it’s 50% off…

I work for a major courier company in Canada, and I daily see boxes that are completely useless for what they are being used for. A client told me once that the decision about what kind of boxes are to be used is all too often made by an accountant in head office, based purely on cost, not on what’s best.