Why are there so many gay people?

Even if that’s true, it doesn’t resolve the issue. Why doesn’t natural selection eliminate the dice roll?

As a gay man who hasn’t been in a relationship for well over a year, I think the question should be changed to “why aren’t there enough gay people?”.

Location, location, location! San Fran, New Orleans, and DC might be good places to start.

Hmmm… I know a pair of identical twins with one obvious lack of identicality. So, gay is not really hereditary.

My theory is similar - that there are attraction center “modules” in the brain that recognize things. Hence we like cute and cuddly, we recognize young as cute in kids (who are not screaming their lungsout), kittens and puppies, for example. We recognize beauty in adult human bodies; we hate slimy and dirty, we recognized “sick” or “not healthy”, another favourite perception brought up by evolutionary biologists.

I think the ability to percieve with our higher-level thought processes and recognition patterns is connected to that lower set of functions, the “arousal/attraction portions of the brain” or other motivations. The connection is likely such that misconnections are a normal part of development, not tied to genetics, but possibly influenced by in utero and early childhood. SO just as you might accidentally end up with cleft palate or downs or overactive thyroid, you may end up with “gay” or “bi” or “pedo” or sadist" or any number of other misconstructions of the brain.

I suppose the question is - is this strictly a physical development, or is it also something that evolves in neural pathways - i.e. learned from experiences? Or both?

And as to the previous paragraph - this is not to imply that gay=pedophiliac or anything else like that. First, I don’t care what people do with their equipment in their spare time. Also, as someone who has to wear glasses and take regular medication, I can’t criticize that sometimes nature does not follow the blueprint perfectly, and that’s no reason not to enjoy what you got.

I’ve wondered this as well. Because - while I think gay people should be allowed to do whatever they want - from the perspective of the evolutionary drive, (strict) homosexuality is a mistake. From an evolutionary perspective the ‘purpose’ of living organisms is to foster the survival and propagation of our genes, and being strictly homosexual removes the possibility of propagation at a stroke. Yet there’s been significant numbers of gay people in every society and in every country, throughout history. How does a trait that contradicts evolution so directly become so common? I wonder the same thing about suicidal depression: it’s so horrible and so debilitating, it makes it so much harder to survive and propagate (committing suicide because of depression strikes me as basically the antithesis of the way organisms succeed through evolution), so why is it so common?

Also, just to point out: it’s irrelevant whether homosexuality stems more from our genes or from our environment, ‘nature or nurture’. Either way, strict homosexuality is a characteristic which, in terms of evolution, seems like a singular mistake. So how is it that it’s managed to remain so common in human society? It’s one of those miraculous “against the odds” success stories when you think about it.

Actually there is some compelling evidence out there for this.

Basically a gene that may help women may make men gay. Thing is females dominate the genetic lottery compared to the male (which may partly explain the greater prevalence of homosexual men versus women).

IMO the mixed results suggest the activity of epigenetic switches. That is, the gay phenotype is partly genetically determined, but not entirely so. Epigenetic switches are:

Elements in the environment, including hormones in utero, have an effect on gene expression. Maybe a real scientist can come along and explain this better. There’s also a recent Time magazine article (January 18, 2010) that explains this concept.

No, it really really isn’t. As I stated before, there are many possible explanations that are perfectly consistent with current evolutionary theory. We don’t have a definitive answer because there’s so much we still don’t understand, but it’s really not a big issue.

I suspect it’s actually down to me not trying very hard - I do live in London after all (not exactly known as a gay desert).

Traits are not passed on solely on the actions of the carrier though, genes are passed through families. I was listening to a radio programme today with Richard Dawkins discussing the evolutionary benefit to cooperation (specifically within families) because genes are shared amongst them so doing something that benefits others actually helps your genes too.

If a trait for cooperating with others cropped up and survived better than the “screw you, I’m out for myself only” types (and it seems to otherwise how did we end up in the packs/societies that we did?) then having an individual within a gene pool that has something that stops them reproducing directly doesn’t stop their genes being carried on through nurturing the offspring of others. I’m pretty sure someone said something to this effect upthread.

No cite but I would take an educated guess that the majority of those are due to people growing up and living in a society that is (or certainly was) profoundly unaffirming of homosexuality, for a variety of pretty obvious reasons.

Many guys would narrow it even further: “Why aren’t there enough Tops?”

Maybe it’s not a mistake at all - maybe there’s an environmental trigger built into the genes that suppress the ‘go forth and multiply’ directive. Sort of like there’s a trigger that determines the sex of certain amphibians and reptiles, is it possible that there is some population threshold that’s been reached that would make it optimal to begin curbing the reproductive rate of the species? Unlikely, but not impossible.

Yeah, sucks that so many of us have to take turns doesn’t it? :smiley:

Quoth Whack-a-Mole:

Interesting, when I’d heard of it it was just speculation. I wasn’t aware that they’d actually found empirical evidence.

A surprising number of people discover/acknowledge their homosexuality later in life after a good run of heterosexual activity, or keep plugging away at heterosexual behavior in denial of their homosexuality. For that matter, there’s Anne Heche. These categories aren’t as ironclad as we’d like to believe.

My niece, a lesbian, has a partner who’s pregnant. I didn’t press for details, but there are plenty of circumstances where a gay person can become a parent. And plenty more where he or she would want to.

But it wouldn’t need to be “gay people don’t reproduce at all” for evolution to work on it. Anything that changes the likelihood that someone will reproduce will be affected by evolution, and I don’t think it’s much of a stretch to say that gay people reproduce less than straight people.

Here’s one such study…bet there have been more.

So maybe homosexuality is a “break” on females who produce too many offspring? Can’t think how that would turn out to be an advantage though.

An allele that says “sacrifice your own reproduction for the good of the species” will be disfavored.

“Epigenetic switches” are just one way that genes are regulated. And although the fact that I speak English rather than Albanian is not genetic, I’m not sure that it’s helpful to attribute it to gene regulation (even though gene regulation is involved in memory and such).