Why are they advertising the $20 bill?

This is probably a dumb question, but I don’t see why it’s necessary or even beneficial to advertise the new twenty dollar bill. There’s ads on TV and the internet (and maybe radio, but I don’t usually tune in).

What is the Treasury Dept. thinking? Isn’t this a waste of money? Maybe they have to spend all of the old 20s :slight_smile:

So that people will accept it as good. if I offered you a $20 bill which was orange would you take it?

Yeah, during my stay in USAID I seem to recall complaints from some foreign service types that the redesigned $20s (the first round) weren’t being accepted overseas due to a lack of information at retailers.

If you actually read or listen to the ads, they’re telling you two things. First there are new twenties that look different, but they’re still real money. Second, the old bills are still good, too.

What they should also do is sponsor some advertisements in third world countries that explain that a U.S. bill, no matter how old or beat up, is still worth the same amount of money. There are a lot of places where they like to get U.S. currency, but they won’t accept anything that’s less than new and crisp!

Why are they advertising the new $20 bill? So you’ll buy one, silly! :slight_smile:

On the first day of release last week, there were many reports of retailers refusing to accept them, thinking they were fake. If there had not been an ad campaign, even more businesses would have refused them, negating the value of the currency.

Thanks. I guess I missed the obvious. Won’t be the last time.

I was wondering as well. It makes sense to have the people aware of it, but I was thinking the news would be enough to make the public aware.
From what I remember the adversting campaign is going to cost 13 million dollars… I find it a bit excessive!

The Treasury had to spend the funds appropriated and somebody nixed the duct tape promotion.

When the big-face 100s first came out, I was working at a restaurant. One of our managers threw away $500 in legal tender because he thought it was gag currency.

:smack:

It’s kind of funny, though. In one of the commercials, a guy uses a new $20 bill to pay for something. The cashier looks at it and asks, “What’s this?” Guy replies, “It’s the new twenty!” “Oh,” she says, putting it in the till.

Now, you try that yourself. Go on. Take the new twenty - make sure it’s real! - and if the cashier asks you what it is and you tell her it’s one of the new bills, see if she believes you as easily as the cashier in the commerical. I’m guessing that if the cashier doesn’t know there are new twenties you’ll get a funny look and a visit from The Manager. Which is, of course, why they have the commercials in the fist place, huh? :slight_smile:

How much do they cost?

50 dollars.

Heck, I’ll sell you one for half that.

Forget it.
I’ll go to Walmart and buy the cheap Chinese import $20 bills for less than a quarter of that.

We talked about the U.S. Government’s decision to spend **$30 Million ** on this campaign in this thread.

Probably GD, but I said then and I say now that this is an absurd amount of money to spend on an advertsing campaign, especially when it should be extremely easy to get national press coverage for free or next to free.

Even today, you can find clerks who refuse to take two dollar bills because they’ve never seen them and assume they aren’t real, even though the bills have been around for years and years. If I didn’t know in advance about the new-colored twenties (I suggest we call them “peachies”), I’d have a moment of skepticism upon being handed what looks like deluxe Monopoly money.

Peachy Keen!

:smiley:

Dang. I don’t watch television. This is the first I’ve heard of this!