Why are threads like this in GD not shut down or moved to IMHO?

I can’t speak to that. It’s not my forum and wasn’t my closing.

The “is this common practice” comment, I assumed was referring to not being aware of what forum a reported post was in. Clarifying what we see when a post gets reported might help answer that. If that wasn’t the question, Reluctant A is welcome to respond.

No, he needs to say what he thinks of it, otherwise it’s just the same as “Hey, guys, what do you think about this?”. The Op needs to add some meat, some thought.

Those should all be closed.

That thread is proof that we need a forum called “Are Submarines Waterproof” for threads of this caliber.

I don’t have a problem with that. And I don’t have problem moving it to a more mundane and pointless forum either. This appears to be another case of a mod reacting to a report without any objective consideration or analysis.

Mods, please re-open that thread or provide a valid reason why it should be closed.

Mods- please don’t. For either.

So you think mods should close any thread that they receive a complaint about?

No, just the useless crappy ones.

As determined by whom?

In this ATMB thread: Why was this IMHO thread closed? - About This Message Board - Straight Dope Message Board where I raised the question of why this thread was closed, this comment was thrown out

just before a mod came along and closed that thread because this one was open. Sure looks like a concerted effort to stifle a discussion about the Clinton’s current sleeping arrangements. I don’t necessarily think that’s the case, but it appears so. Tomndebb pretty much says that there wasn’t a real reason to close it, but after he mistakenly did, it wasn’t worth the effort to re-open it. Just adds to the reputation this board already has.

I hate to be “Well, actually” guy, but…

tomndebb said that he “looked over” the thread and closed it, without noticing that it had been moved from #Elections. I can buy that he closed the thread without noticing that it had been moved, if he didn’t bother reading it, but I’m puzzling over how he could have looked the thread over without noticing that Johnathan Chance had already moved it. 'Cuz, you know… there’s that one post by Johnathan Chance that he said he moved it.

Bingo.

There are two things related to this.

Impropriety.

And the APPEARANCE of impropriety.

Often it is more important to avoid the later, even if it is NOT true, than it is to not do the former.

PS. First awhile back it was too much trouble for a mod to say “hey, we got your report about post X”. Now it is too much trouble to reopen a thread accidentally closed. Homer Simpson’s helper monkey had more spunk than that.

What will we learn from such a thread if it is reopened?

It’s IMHO. Are threads there required to teach us something? Of course, there’s always MPSIMS, too, if that thread is not “deep enough” for IMHO.

As though that’s a bad thing.

Because he had no reason to look the thread over. All he had reason to do was read the OP to see that it did not fit in Elections. So that’s what he did. JC did the same thing, probably. The only difference was that JC moved it to a forum where it barely fit, while tom just figured it needed to be closed.

Yeah, he goofed. But instead of asking him nicely to put it back, you guys seem to be laying into him. I’m not a fan of a lot of tom’s stuff, but this seems out of proportion.

And, for Og’s sake, it does not in any way like he closed it in some sort of left-wing bias. He left it closed because it’s an inane thread, and he didn’t want to go to the trouble of opening it and deleting his own post about closing it.

He just didn’t think anyone would care. Now that he knows, I’m sure he’s willing to reopen it.

(checking) Oh, it’s not one of mine. All that talk about it being content-free had me worried.

Carry on.

Agreed. And on behalf of the board I’d like to thank you for volunteering to moderate it.

I nominate John Mace, Miller and the person who posts after me as your co-mods.

NO! I’m too busy.

I vote MfM. Who’s with me?

Awesome, now we can abuse him with regularity in ATMB. I nominate LinusK as his assistant.