Why aren't all the eskimoes dead?

The preferred spelling is “Eskimo” not “Eskimoe”. Plural is “Eskimos” not “Eskimoes”.

My Eskimo co-worker says that the Eskimo consumes the ENTIRE animal. That is they will eat not only the meat but the organs like the stomach and what ever is in it.

This way they do get a varied diet.

Ukulele Ike:

I was about to reply “no”…I have the old Viking hardcover myself…but then I looked at Amazon, and sure enough, there is a new softcover edition. Probably inspired by the recent success of The Endurance, about Shackleton’s great adventure.

I recommend you all pick up The Arctic Grail, but be forewarned: It’s a huge masonry stone of a book, and took me weeks to read.

And, scurvy is frankly one of the lesser hardships described in the book. There are tales of men with frostbite so bad their hands and feet literally turned black and fell off.

MonkeyMan:

Then I guess “Esquimaux” is right out.

Yeah, that Shackleton craze was a godsend to us Polar Exploration nuts. Quite a few fine books came back into print. Grab a copy of Roland Huntford’s superb THE LAST PLACE ON EARTH (originally published as SCOTT AND AMUNDSEN: THE RACE TO THE SOUTH POLE) before it goes OP again.

Five said

“Then I guess “Esquimaux” is right out”

Esquimaux is fine as long as you’re a nineteenth century french fur trader. Otherwise no.