[QUOTE=Balthisar]
Holy cow! That’s almost literally an “allowed-to-purchase-alcohol” license! On my many trips to The Beer Store or the few trips to LCBO, I’ve never been carded. In the cited link, though, I didn’t see any mention of other ID cards that are accepted – does it specify driver’s licenses in the general sense, or specifically Ontario driver’s licenses? I can’t imagine they’d want to lose so much money by turning down all of the Michigan licenses (including mine) that are floating around here.
Is there LCBO and The Beer Store equivalents back in Quebec, or does the government there let the free market reign? Back in Michigan, it’s easy to get a license to sell beer, but the MLCC is pretty tight with liquor licenses. It’s still the monopoly supplier to businesses, and until recently had price controls on all liquor statewide. Interestingly by going to “free market” with prices, I’ve only seen prices go up.
Also in your link I see reference to “illegal wine makers,” but yet in the area I’m staying at, I know of at least two places that let you make your own wine on their premises. As a home-beer-brewer back home, I know that home wine making is popular, too. Is that not the case in Ontario?
[/QUOTE]
They regularly accepted licenses from other states and provinces… the employees didn’t always know to recognise them, but they are officially accepted. The health card thing is a bit of an anomaly, I think. If they didn’t have so many problems with fakes when they first changed formats, they probably would accept them (unless the story I was told repeatedly isn’t true… that’s a possibility!)
I don’t know how the make-your-own wine places work, but they are clearly within the law, since there are quite a few of them. I guess you’d have to ask!
Yes, the BYID is pretty much a “I’m allowed to buy booze” license. For those people who, at 19, don’t have a driver’s license, it is often easier to just get a BYID than to carry a passport around (or join the Armed Forces!)
The Québec government controls the sale and distribution of alcohol in this province too. They have the SAQ, which is a lot like the LCBOs, which sells wine and liquor, but beer and malt-based mixes and some wines can be sold in grocery stores and dépanneurs (convenience stores). Hotels, restaurants, etc get their license and deliveries from the SAQ, I think. The legal drinking age here is 18, also. I like to joke that the difference between Ontario and Québec’s attitude towards alcohol is in the names… Liquor CONTROL Board of Ontario… Société d’Alcool du Québec (Alcohol Society :))
)