Why can I no longer connect to Google News?

After years of being able to access Google News at https://news.google.com/ I now get “This webpage is not available ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT”.

This has been going on for nearly 2 weeks. No other problems connecting to any other website. It happens with both Chrome and IE, but at IE I get the message "This page can’t be displayed

•Make sure the web address https://news.google.com is correct.
•Look for the page with your search engine.
•Refresh the page in a few minutes."
My workaround has been just going to https://news.google.ca/ which I’ve set for the US edition. All my news preferences etc. have been preserved. So it’s not a big deal, I’m just curious as to why I can’t reach their main website.


Connects for me just fine.

Have you checked your deodorant lately?

I access google news via their home (search) page. Works fine for me.

How does this make you feel?

Goonoos works fine for me. It’s my home page.

Earlier today (Friday) my neighbor complained of obscure cryptic error messages while trying to connect to craigslist, but it worked just fine for me. It even worked just fine for me on his computer, as long as I was doing the typing, unless he was telling me what to type, except there was nothing wrong with that either. Go figure. We were both noticing that connecting to various web sites was very slow that day.

Must be something in the air. Maybe all this rain we’re having.

Google news is still not working for me, though the workaround via the Canadian website still functions.

And now as of today, Google Maps gives me the same error message. And the best workaround I can come up with for that just gives me a minimally functional version with no capacity to have satellite view or trip directions.

And ClassyGMap went dysfunctional too!!



Are you using a portable device? Do you get the same results on other wifi networks?

It’s the Vegemite.

Interferes with the wi-fi signal.

Try clearing your browser’s cache.

When I was working tech phone support for a company that wrote and hawked a specific app, we had one knee-jerk answer for all problems, big and small: FDISK!

It worked too. After telling various customers to do that, we hardly ever heard from them again.

(Actually, just half-kidding. That was just our in-house standing joke. I’m not sure we actually ever told users that. Well, maybe sometimes it was the right thing to do.)

dns issue? try changing the dns in your modem interface to googles : and

Have you tried pinging them from a command prompt?

C:>ping news.google.com

This will tell you if your DNS is messed up.

Home or work? If work, maybe your network admin has put a block in (and didn’t block the Candadian site)?

“request timed out” x 4

Packets sent = 4
received = 0
lost = 4

It’s my home internet system. On my desktop system, which is working well with all my other usual sites, including gmail and google search in general.

Same results for trying to access those google sites on my wife’s laptop, which is on the same wi-fi. She too can access gmail and google search, but news gives the same result as when I try, and so does google maps, giving us a closeup of our area, but no icon for changing to satellite view, and the menu drop down button doesn’t function.

I miss my maps!

Haven’t tried changing the dns of the modem yet . . .

Try flushing the dns on the machines having issues - at the command prompt…

C:>ipconfig /flushdns


No such luck. The DNS resolver cache successfully flushed, but it did not resolve the issue.

Who is your ISP? I’m on Comcast and I’ve recently noticed a lot of slowness on many Google sites.


It’s not slow, it’s going at its usual speed for most sites. It just won’t connect with the main google news site, and won’t give me a working google map site either.

Comcast user in California, both sites work fine for me on both Chrome and Firefox (I refuse to use IE unless there is no other available choice).

I had a similar issue before, where one or two sites I used to frequent (can’t recall the url… But regular, popular sites) just suddenly would not resolve from my home network. The only thing that worked was swapping the DnS like I suggested above, so I reckon you should give that a whirl, only takes twenty seconds to do