why cant i drive?

Warning : directionless rant follows:

why cant i drive? its not that i have any coordination problems with my limbs. I play sports like volleyball, tennis etc. But if you put me in a car, I lose all control. I have gone for three driving tests so far, fluned all three. Hit the pavement atleast twice and broke a couple of wooden poles also. I try to hit the brake I end up losing control. Its so frustrating because I have ZERO mobility. I have to depend on public transpotation all the FUCKING time. Anyone as pathetic as me?
PS. I am 23, male.

If you are coordinated enough to play sports, then you should be able to drive. I suspect some sort of emotional block. (Of course, I am no psychiatrist, so what do I know?)

What I’m trying to say is that I suspect that you have the innate ability. My mom did. But she botched many a driving test for many a year, because she had a terrible emotional block against driving. She finally got her driver’s license at age 60. (I don’t expect it will take you that long!)

I also admit (with some embarrassment) that I got my license at age 27. I also had an emotional “block” that told me I was hopeless up at it. (It must run in the family!) Eventually I just had to get over it. I just got so sick of the bloody pathetic bus system in L.A.

Give yourself some more time. Take a deep breath, and give yourself some more time.

P.S. When I got my license, I made up for lost time. I have driven ALL over the damned place - cross country, all day, hours and hours. In some of the scariest freeways in the country. I LOVE to drive. Wow. Who would have guessed, with the late start I got?

But if you knew me when I was your age (22) you would think I was never going to learn. And I did try. I remember my sister taking me out to learn, and I almost (at least it felt that way to me) hit a police car. I was so freaked out, I didn’t get behind the wheel for a few years.

Don’t give up hope. I’m glad I didn’t!

My advice? One word–Fahrvegnugen–When the car and the driver become ONE.

I’m 29, and I can’t drive. The very idea scares me death - having to pay attention to what’s going on in front of you, behind you, and next to you, all the while trying to keep a 2000 pound death machine under control … hell no! I’ve got far too short an attention span for that. Really, you drivers should THANK me for not having a license :slight_smile:

All right. Everyone all together now…

"Thanks, Ruadh!"

::Revving the engine of his “2000-pound death machine”::

Yes, Thanks Ruadh. As Homer said “The lesson is: Don’t try”.

There’s enough dangers on the road as it is.

My mom is 53 years old and still cannot drive. Both my father and stepfather spent years trying to teach her, to no avail. My stepdad even went out and bought her a new car last year. You know where that car is? Yep, you guessed it. If he isn’t driving it, it sits in the driveway and my mother still takes the bus to work every day. With my mother, it is definitely an emotional blocking. She also does not know how to swim, ride a bike, or roller skate. When we were kids, he bought her a moped so she could at least get around town. She was so scared of it, she crashed it the first day she tried to use it. I was only 11 at the time, but I ended up using the thing all the time. In my mom’s case, it all goes back to her mom, who didn’t think it was proper for a lady to drive or do “rough house” things, which apparently includes swimming and bicycle riding. My grandmother herself has only learned to drive in the last ten years or so, and that was because my grandfather’s vision was failing so bad, he was downright dangerous on the road.

My mother tried to pound her driving phobia into me, but my ex-husband forced me to learn how to drive when I was 18 because he said there was no way in hell he was going to spend the rest of his life driving me around, just like my stepdad does now with my mom.

Shadowfox
“We are what we pretend to be.”

• Kurt Vonnegut