Why can't they make frozen pizza that tastes good?

The only frozen one I tolerate is DiGiorno . . . and that’s only after I’ve added a few more ingredients.

What I like even more is the crust that comes in a tube. Then I can use my own sauce, and everything else.

Yeah, but if I have to drive out and get the pizza myself, I might as well go pick up a DiGornos pizza from the supermarket and get a decent pie. :smiley: Little Caesar’s is about as lackluster as pizza gets, though it is hard to beat the convenience of slapping a fiver on the counter top and getting a pizza frisbeed at you.:smiley:

I hate DiGornos. Yuck. But I’m definitely with the Totinos/Jenos crowd. The supreme is the best. The only problem I have is that the stick to the pan, so I have to spray the ever-loving hell out of it, but it’s worth it.

Stouffer’s French bread pizzas aren’t bad either. I LOVE their white garlic ones, but I can’t find those around here anymore. :frowning:

Wait, you cook your pizza on a PAN?!

What are you, some kind of demented prevert? :smiley:

Stop cooking them in the pan. :mad:

They cook so much better right on the rack.

edit: I see raguleader and I are on the same wavelength here.

Frozen Pizza has improved a lot in the past 20 years. The only brand I buy regularly is DiGiornos.

I still prefer fresh. However, when it’s snowing outside or raining cats & dogs I appreciate the option of popping a frozen one in the oven.

Is that what they’re calling it now? :smiley:

I laughed. :smiley:

Except for parmesan, oddly enough. I keep a huge chunk in my freezer for grating.

Plus rep on totinos pizza, I only like pepperoni though. Save-Alot and Aldis have them for a dollar some times. 10 PIZZAS FOR 10 DOLLARS!!! Must mention good ol TJs frozen pizza, frozen Imos pizza, you can not go wrong. I swear Freschetta pours sugar in their pizza, so sweet. Tonys is OKAY, Jacks is disgusting but I eat it all…

Pizza is like sex. Bad pizza is still pizza. :smiley:

I’ve been enjoying Culinary Circle’s Rising Crust pizza from Jewel. I put it on a pizza stone, but otherwise follow the directions. Look for it at your local SUPERVALU-supplied grocery store.

And now the one in my freezer is calling to me…

That’s what I was going to say.

The OP thinks modern frozen pizza is bad? I recall when I was younger eating a slice or two of a frozen pizza before I realized I was also eating the cardboard on the bottom that it had been packaged with. It really did taste like cardboard.

I still have nightmares recalling the Chef Boyardee Pizza’s in a box. <shudder> That’s all my mom bought when I was a kid. There was no such thing as delivery either. At least not in my town.

You’ve never had a Grandiosa :eek: (shudder, shudder)

Dr Oetker’s Casa di Mamma is pretty good, in spite of the fact that I wouldn’t normally associate Germany with good frozen pizza or, come to that, pizza in general. Their Ristorante line, however, is meh at best. It appears that they have decided to launch only the Ristorante pizzas in North America :smack:

Frozen meat pies can be just as good as their freshly-made equivalents - and I consider myself if not an expert, at least a very enthusiastic amateur connoisseur in this particular field.

But then a pie is a fairly straightforward construct comprising two components - the filling, which is essentially a casserole and which will freeze as a solid, stable block, and the pastry shell, which although vulnerable to freezer burn and physical damage, seems in practice to survive very well.

In fact, I think it may sometimes be the case that freezing improves the filling - although this is of course a subjective judgment, but meat frozen down in gravy can make a nicer pie filling than its freshly prepared equivalent.

Pizzas are meant to be cooked in an oven. Convection is a process where hot air is circulated around the food and certain processes are expected to happen. Microwaving just heats up the water molecules. “Cooking” generally does not happen, which is why, after microwaving, you are supposed to leave the food covered and on the side for a while to actually cook.

I’ve had quite a bit of success actually with microwave pizza. The key, as mentioned, is to prevent drying out. In most cases, you want to cover the food while microwaving with saran wrap (don’t use generic wrap, as they melt in the microwave.) Then, don’t heat the food all the way through. I generally go about 2 minutes maximum with my 100 watt microwave, maybe 5 minutes maximum on a lower-wattage one. Then, cover and set on the side. Usually, I take stuff out about 1 minute after it is done to allow convection to occur.

I like Red Baron’s French bread pizzas. Would buy them in bulk when I was in college, and I’ll still occasionally eat one. A lot of it has to do with the fact that they’re using a thick piece of bread for the crust, which prevents it having that wooden texture. The pepperonis are dry and rubbery, but the cheese gets nice and melty and the sauce is pretty good, not at all sweet, like some frozen pizzas.

I agree that most supermarket frozen pizzas are poor. But I get handmade, ready-to-cook pizzas from Papa Murphy’s and freeze them and they are great when thawed and cooked. So I guess it is possible and the big commercial, mass-produced outfits just don’t do it right.

Actually Dr Oetker pizzas make perfect sense to me: if you want a fresh pizza, you get an Italian to make it – if you want it reproduced on an industrial scale, to consistently high standard, get a German. :smiley: