Why can't they make frozen pizza that tastes good?

Totally agree! Especially the spinach/mushroom and three-cheese! Also, I love Freschetta and DiGiorno.

You mean 1000 watt, right?

Add another vote for the el-cheapo Totinos, “Triple Meat” being my fav. They’re the perfect size for eating solo. I occasionally add toppings if I have them on hand, but I always add oregano to give them some more flavor.

But beware about under-cooking the meat-bearing ones, they had an e-coli recall on them a few years back.

Or Delissio, as it’s called in Canada. I agree that frozen pizza technology has advanced a lot since I was a kid.

Ugh. My mom used to make those, too. The worst was the “sausage” one, with those spooky little grey balls of “sausage.”

Sometimes, she’d get the even cheaper brand of boxed pizza - Appian Way. Blech. So bad. Though I have an urge to get one and see how bad it really is.

When I eat frozen food I have always enjoyed it by thinking of it as something totally different than its “fresh” counterpart. To me, a frozen pizza is a frozen food item meant to resemble a certain fresh food item on a superficial level. Once you wrap your mind around that I think you can accept it for what it is. As long as you don’t go in expecting to bite into a really good piece of fresh pizza, I’ve never found frozen pizzas unpalatable.

Moving from General Questions to Cafe Society.

samclem, Moderator

In my experience DiGornio’s Supreme pizza is vacuum sealed in thick plastic (it’s a PITA to cut open) and holds up pretty well if not over cooked. I’ve never tried Totino’s. Frozen pizza and fresh pizza are almost two different foods, trying to compare them is fruitless.

In eating frozen pizzas I generally make an easy to prepare salsa like sauce with diced canned tomatoes, olive oil, ground black pepper, diced garlic/ jalapeno peppers etc. to taste, that I spoon moderately over the cooked frozen pizza slice right before eating. It’s an ideal accompaniment to a cooked frozen pizza as it adds moisture and fresh veggie and spice notes to the pie slice plus it cools it down a touch as you should be eating cooked frozen immediately after cooking. Once it cools even a high quality cooked frozen pie is pretty meh.

I like them too. I like to sprinkle a little garlic powder on top. I want one right now. I love pretty much all pizza, though, and have never met one frozen or otherwise that I won’t eat. Lately I’ve been getting chicken ones because they’re the only ones my husband will eat. Locally I like the Lunds/Byerlys brand (and all their frozen pizzas, all brands, are 40% off through Wednesday, all you Twin Cities frozen pizza lovers).

There’s a recent trend for “pizza delivery”-style frozen pizzas here and a couple of them aren’t bad, better than frozen pizzas were before anyway. Chicago Town and Goodfellas Takeaway, and a few other brands. They’re not a patch on a decent delivered pizza however.

The thing I’ve noticed in microwave pizza (and pizza rolls) is that they have that weird fake peperoni flavor you get on pizza flavored chips, or a similar sausage taste. I’ve even tasted it on a few of the cheaper oven pizzas. It’s the only thing I’ve tasted on pizzas that I really don’t like.

If they’re having to add fake flavor, they can’t be using even medium quality ingredients, as I know pizza places that use frozen topping, and at least those dont’ need additives.

If you have a Trader Joe’s nearby, I can recommend their frozen pizza Margherita.

Ice cream? :smiley:

Although I happen to think that the Ristorante with mushrooms, cheese and garlic butter is incredible, they definitely sell the Casa di Mamma pizzas here. Haven’t tried one though. Southern Ontario if you were wondering.

I had a Newman’s Own today that was pretty good. Besides, the taste of the pizza is marginally enhanced by thinking that some tiny portion of the price I paid wound up going to some charity I don’t know about.

While not frozen, the refrigerated pizzas from Wal-Mart (it’s the same thing they sell at Sam’s Club) are surprisingly good.

California Pizza Kitchen’s pizzas are pretty tasty. Really, I haven’t noticed much awfulness in frozen pizzas in the last, what, 5 years? Frozen food technology’s really come a long way.

It’s cheap, filling and usually pretty good – that is, on those days when it doesn’t just hit the fucking spot. But let’s not forget that singularly marvelous feature that no other frozen pizza has: it’s still pretty edible if you burn it. Any other frozen pizza forms a bitter black bottom, but somehow a Totino’s crust ash is neutral in flavor. Plus, even if you still can’t stand to eat mouthfuls of ash no matter how little taste it has, the structure of the bredding is such that it scrapes off much more easily than if it has been a solid dough foundation – the cracker-like substrate that is meant to make it flaky also makes the charred mess bulge away from the main body.

Point to you. But you know what I meant.

You’re really selling it to me. They should use that in the advertising.

+1

I think their secret is not using pizza sauce on the pie {=no soggy bottom)

Me too. I like most of the Trader Joe’s pizzas particularly the one with ham and gruyere.