Why close the Chivalry thread?

Thanks!

Alpaca you up in that quest.

It only happens on my phone but it is super annoying. If you notice it and do a backspace, the middle option is the correct one.

My phone keyboard changes what I type to whichever is the wrong option every damn time. It also randomly capitalizes words mid-sentence. On the computer, Outlook and Word always change what I type, too. Haven’t had Google change anything yet.

Llame, in my opinion.

I was referring to Google’s keyboard app (Gboard) that runs on most Android phones by default. So we may be talking about the same thing.

@Terminus_Est Are you saying your phone keyboard doesn’t do this? Do you know what keyboard software you use?

I’ve always thought that keyboards should mark anything they autocorrected (like with a blue underline or something) so you can easily check and make sure they made the right change.

Ah. I use SwiftKey on an Android phone.

I missed that you were talking about a phone. I don’t do much typing on an Android device these days, but back when I did I never noticed it inserting inappropriate apostrophes.

That’s my fault. I guess I just assumed that “autocorrect” would be thought of as a phone (or tablet) thing. But, as @needscoffee reminded me, some computer software has autocorrect as well.

Fleksy is the best of several keyboard apps I’ve tried. It beeps when it autocorrects, and allows you to easily change the word back. It will also automatically learn words you use, and stop autocorrecting them.

Talk about thread digressions… :grinning:

One thing the mods can maybe play with in this area is “Slow Mode”, designed for contentious topics. When activated, “Slow Mode” limits the number of sequential replies any given poster can make.

To activate it, mods can use the wrench action at the topic level:

Imgur

Then decide what the time limit is, and the duration of Slow Mode :snail:

Imgur

It’s a tool in the toolkit, and we think it works very well in some circumstances.

You can also do a timed closure, so the topic is closed to all posts for a certain number of hours. That’s available via the same staff wrench menu pictured above, look for Set Topic Timer then select Close Temporarily.

Sometimes it’s good to slow down. Sometimes it’s good to have a time out for a bit. All tools in the moderator toolkits.

(these pictures were taken on my own personal Discourse instance where I am staff; I am not a staff member here, just a person knowledgable about the open-source Discourse project.)

Oh, that is really handy for me. I like the idea of closing some topics that are out of control for 10 or 15 minutes and now I can do it and walk away if I want.

This topic was automatically opened after 3 minutes.