Why do frozen breads & biscuits still rise?

Recently I learned that you can make biscuits and freeze them for later use. You just pop the uncooked biscuits into the oven and bake. Why doesn’t the freezing stop them from rising? Could you do this with cake batter?
Same question about yeast breads–doesn’t the freezing kill the yeast?

Yeast isn’t killed by freezing. So you put the frozen bread or rolls out (or set in the refig, maybe?) and the bread/rolls rise while thawing, takes a long time esp. in cool/cold weather. Can’t go freezer to oven with yeast dough. My sister used to bring be big frozen globs of yeast dough.

Haven’t tried the other stuff.

You’d have to leave it on the counter. It’s too cold in the fridge for the yeast to be active (you’re supposed to store yeast in the fridge).

A 100F oven might be better, though. It probably says on the package directions.

Never attribute to malice anything that can be attributed to stupidity.
– Unknown

I believe you could go straight from the freezer to the oven with biscuit dough since biscuits are leavened with baking powder and don’t need the rise time that yeast breads do. But there still may not be enough time at the proper temperature for rising before they overcook.

I’d be willing to experiment if you will explain to my wife what I’m doing. :slight_smile:

Cake batter is a different kettle of fish. (How’s that for a mixed metaphor!) Beating cake batter does more than mix the ingredients – it also entrains air and modifies the texture. Some or all of that effect would be lost by freezing and thawing. If you froze the batter, let it thaw, beat it again and then baked it, it would probably be all right, but that sounds like the hard way of doing things. Also, cakes are relatively large and if you went directly from freezer to oven the edges would thaw and bake and overcook while the center was still frozen.

If man was meant to fly faster than the speed of sound he would have been born with 50,000 pounds of thrust.

I don’t think that the same thing would work with cake batter because it uses baking powder to rise. This is the unscientific answer, but baking powder makes little air bubbles that pop pretty rapidly. That’s why you should always try to get the cake in the oven as soon you mix it. Yeast bubbles pop too, but I think that they do it more slowly because of the glutanous (sp?) nature of bread dough.

Anyways, that’s the way it works in my kitchen…

Thanks for the info–it makes sense, now.
Pluto–hehehe!