Why do my feet go numb when I use elliptical trainers?

Both my husband and I find that our feet start to go numb after 15 minutes or so on elliptical trainers. We’re wearing well-broken in shoes (and this happens regardless of the shoes we’re wearing) and never have this problem on any other exercise equipment or when walking. What’s going on?

Dear Renee,

After 15 minutes, the area around my mouth goes numb. That is because my blood sugar is dropping. Perhaps, like myself, you are diabetic. However, let’s hope not.

Best wishes,

Donnachka

This happen to me too on the elliptical trainer or when I run because I have mortons neuromas on both feet. Also happens when I snow ski. It hurts as besides causing the numbness.

This happen to me too on the elliptical trainer or when I run because I have mortons neuromas on both feet. Also happens when I snow ski. It hurts as besides causing the numbness.

I get this same phenomenon, as does my neighbor (we both work out at a local gym). Our wives each think we’re just crazy fool men, but dammit, it happens, and I’d like toknow why as well.

Well, I decided google this phenomenon, and it turns out it’s pretty common.Here is an article about it. It’s caused by the fact that on ellipticals and stair masters you keep pretty much constant pressure on the same parts of your feet, which causes them to fall asleep.

donnachka, thanks for the concern but I’m certain I don’t have diabetes. I can hike or swim for hours and have zero diabetes symptoms unless I’m on this particular machine (and they stop as soon as I move to a treadmill or bike).

Interesting, and answer to my problem. I never have had this on any exercise machine, while running, while climbing mountains, or anything else except long bike rides. Same cause, I guess.

I was going to ask does it get “numb” or “fall asleep.” When it falls asleep you are putting pressure on a nerve. But going numb can be a LOT of different things.

Awesome! An answer five years later.