Why do my hands still smell like horse??

I take horseback riding lessons every Friday evening. As can be expected, I often come home smelling of my steeds and always shower afterwards. Usually, that works just fine.

But something about Friday’s lesson has left the distinct scent of Horse on my hands to this day–two days later! FWIW, I rode my usual mount, using the same tack (I’m wondering if it’s my sweaty hands on those hot leather reins that’s doing the trick), under nearly identical weather conditions each week. Despite those constants, I’ve noticed this happening just one other time in the last 4 months.

To ensure you that I do have good hygiene habits, let’s recount: I came home from the lesson and washed my hands, twice, then showered–washing hands and body thoroughly. Next morning I shampooed my hair, twice, thus thoroughly scrubbing my hands as well before once again cleansing my body. Still the smell of horse was on my hands! (And of course, I washed my hands periodically throughout the day.)

Today, my hands almost smell like…well, my hands. But that subtle equine scent is STILL THERE.

What gives?

You probably got DMSO on your hands.

I dread asking this, but…enlighten me, tc. What does your acronymn refer to?

Dimethyl sulfoxide.
http://www.gnc.com/health_notes/Supp/DMSO.htm

More on Google if you want it. I have no idea why TC would think you’d get DMSO on your skin while horseback riding. Is it used in equine therapy?

Well I’m glad to hear it’s just a solvent. With an OP title like this one, I’m have expecting some ribbing and/or jokes suggesting naughty things. tc’s post, as it is, seems…uh…unlikely. * Very* unlikely.

From a web page I found about DMSO:

First of all, garlic smells nothing like horse sweat. Second, DMSO is not used on horses that I know of, and I am certain that my mount is not under any such medical treatment.

The smell is distinctly equine–other horseback riding enthusiasts know exactly the scent I’m referring to. It’s not a smell of manure, thankfully.

Well I’m glad to hear it’s just a solvent. With an OP title like this one, I’m have expecting some ribbing and/or jokes suggesting naughty things. tc’s post, as it is, seemed…uh…unlikely. But some research has indeed showed it is used in equine care. Still, I don’t think it’s the DMSO because of what I read about it:

From a web page I found about DMSO:

First of all, garlic smells nothing like horse sweat. Second, I am certain that my mount is not under any such medical treatment.

The smell is distinctly equine–other horseback riding enthusiasts know exactly the scent I’m referring to. It’s not a smell of manure, thankfully.

Obviously I was not referring to the smell or taste of DMSO. When my ex owned a stable it was in regular use as a horse liniment among other things and, if one rubbed up against the horse (or something else with DMSO on it) and then a horse, the sweat of the animal would soak into the skin and the smell would linger for days.

Since it did produce exactly the same symptoms you describe, I thought I would mention it. You may be the victim of alien abduction instead. :smiley:

Well, crap. I thought I stopped that first post in time (it was going super slow)–you’ll notice my two posts contradict themselves. ** I really, really meant the second post**–I found the info on DMSO use in horses while the first was stuck in limbo. How embarrassing! :o

I know exactly the smell you mean - I have horses at home - but I have no idea why it is still lingering after so long. The only thing I can think of if the horse was sweating a lot the sweat may have mixed with whatever is used to clean the tack - saddle soap, neatsfoot oil etc. Has the horse been bathed recently? I know that after we bath our bunch or clean tack then my hands do smell for longer than normal. Although no-one else appears to be able to smell it.

<Hijack> As an aside I am currently living in a different country to my “baby boy” I have had for 16 years and as soon as I go home to my parents I can smell horses. Man o man I miss it <End Hijack>

Thanks for the detail and gracious attitude tc, and please look past my embarrassingly ignorant-and-then-contradictory posts. I’ll ask my instructor if she’s been using DMSO on my mount to see if that’s the situation here. :slight_smile:

I don’t use an acronym or a pseudonym. They are my first and middle initials and last name. What is “Ruffian” an acronym for?
:wink:

She meant “DMSO”, not “tc”.

Of course. Do you have an eraser?

Not to get back on topic but have you tried stainless steel?

Former equestrienne here (sniff, not by choice). I’m going to ditto the hypothesis that the smell’s caused by leather reins. My hands used to stay smelly, and even slightly sticky, for hours or days after I rode. Leather does have an odd, coppery smell when it gets wet or warm, especially mixed with Murphy’s Oil or whatever’s being used to clean it.