Why do orb weavers rest head down in their webs?

Trying to clean up a hijack I introduced in another thread here, I’m asking this specific question (above). There have been a couple of interesting hypotheses advanced. I wonder what the current best thinking is on that question. My own was maybe too simplistic - that the blood tends to go to the head that way and it facilitates the actions mediated and performed by that part of the body. What do entomologists or archnologists have to say about this? Anyone know? xo, C.

Hmmm, I think that’s probably almost an anthropomorphism; spider physiology and neurology isn’t all that similar to humans, so I’d say there’s no particular reason to think that blood would rush to the spider’s head, or would do much good there if it did.

A simpler guess (but still a guess) would be that the spinnerets are at the rear end and that the spider is attached to the web by a safety line and is ready to perform a controlled rapid descent to the ground or undergrowth in the event of predator threat.

My first guess too was that the spider was resting above center with its head pointed downward to take advatage of gravity to help it get it to trapped prey and that it faced downward to be pointing towards the area where the prey will land.

I’m no expert.

Or maybe they just like it that way.

Well if they were facing up the sun would get in their eyeses. And then they wouldn’t be able to see me coming when I want to smash them with a rock.

I would agree with MR. Montoya…

Would it be using it’s body to block the sun from overhead?