Why do people hate Anne Hathaway?

Maybe they just don’t like the fact that she puts up with all of Mr. Drysdale’s BS.

Me, too, except I didn’t really because there were so few posts. ISTR the older thread as having reached at least page 2.

The Dope is usually quite current on pop culture, it’s just that there are some Dopers who not only do not pay attention to pop culture but they also do not pay attention to what gets discussed on the very messageboard to which they contribute:

Thread Title: “Do People Hate Anne Hathaway?”
Thread Started: Feb 25th 2013
Responses: 161
http:// boards. straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=683493
(Broken Link to attempt to avoid waking a sleeping Zombie)

right below should be DL Hughley for defending him.

She won’t return my phone calls.

This must be it.

Seriously, she’s gorgeous and she’s a pretty good actor. I see no reason to “hate” her, but then I don’t go out of my way to follow gossip about her. She isn’t a public nuisance, like Jenny McCarthy is. And she doesn’t seem to make a public buffoon of herself, like Gwyneth Paltrow does.

I laughed out loud reading your cite:

“That she’s hated is not in dispute; there wouldn’t be an entire BuzzFeed article on the subject if the hate wasn’t real. BuzzFeed doesn’t deal in trivia”.

My amusement highlighted in red.

I wasn’t aware anyone hated her. I assumed she had a lot of fans from movies like Havoc and Love&Other Drugs. I’m not clear how she got so successful otherwise, she doesn’t seem to be more than an average actress to me, but I haven’t seen all her movies.

OK, so the Oscars co-hosting gig with James Franco was a low point in awards-show hosting and they deserved much humiliation for it. But really, I agree it looks more like a case of “She’s hot, rich, privileged and is not everyone’s best buddy; therefore, let’s put her down, the bitch.”

So as an actor she’s no Meryl Streep… yeah, and so? BFD.

(IMO Hathaway was perfectly cromulent in the role of Selina as reinterpreted for TDKR, FWIW)

Yes, we gotta consider that prior to the Dolan/Bale movies, millions more people alive had seen the 60s TV show than ever laid eyes on one of the Golden Age or post-1970s comics(*). And the last two installments of the 1990s movies did not help.
(*plus there were PRE-1990s cartoons such as SuperFriends, based on the Silver Age versions)

Yeah, but have you seen that guy dance? You don’t just find talent like that by tossing a rock down the street. It could take two rocks!

Niiice… but once she sues the pants off that bank and can hire Jethro to clean out her “ce-ment pond”, she won’t care what anyone thinks of her.

Some have speculated that the Hathaway family coerced Bill into what would probably have been referred to back then as a blunderbuss wedding.

Nah…I think people hate her because she drove buzzed that one time and got in the accident that killed her brother.

I think that she’s hated kind of like Justin Bieber is hated by metal heads. I think that the real problem is an overabundance of cutie pie.

I’m wanting to say that I didn’t notice any of it, tho, until she was in Les Miserables.

I don’t hate here, but for some reason, I am much more likely to recognize her from a picture than I am most celebrities (I’m not very good, in general). Maybe that means there is something odd about her look, though I can’t put my finger on just what. But if I did hate her, I would have lots of occasion to say so, because I always recognize her.

Y’know, she probably wasn’t the right actress for Catwoman in the recent Batman movie (though I’m not sure off the top of my head who they should have cast), but that doesn’t reflect on her; it reflects on the casting director. There are plenty of roles that she is right for.

Did she actually have lines as Catwoman? So far as my memory is concerned, it was largely a non-character. The only requirement seemed to be looking sexy in close fitting black pants and, in my mind at least, she exceeded the requirement.

And I don’t mean that as a put-down, like she’s only any good for looking pretty. So far as I can tell from the films I’ve seen her in, she’s a perfectly reasonable actress. But, dissing her because of her role in the Batman series feels like it would have to have more to do with the role itself than her part in it, because it just wasn’t much of a role. I don’t know what one would have to base the criticism on.

I’m pretty sure it’s totally a case of sour grapes. She’s extremely attractive, seems nice, is a decent actress, seems to be very stylish, and on top of it all, seems to go out of her way to be nice. Kind of a won the lottery kind of situation.

I can totally see how a more petty segment of the population would find that galling, and accuse her of being fake, etc…

She got a lot of hate for hosting the Oscars so badly. But that wasn’t her fault. She’s an actress, used to reading lines, and is not skilled in ad libbing like a comedian is. Further, her co-host James Franco (also an actor) vanished halfway through the ceremony, putting more on the burden on her. It was a bad idea, but she did the best she could.

She’s a fine actress and charming presence. I can’t understand the hate, either.

I also think she was overexposed. She was the hot thing after Brokeback Mountain - and eventually you just start to tire of the hype and overexposure.

Jennifer Lawrence seems to be getting some of this backlash now. She went from fresh and adorable to “oh God, not more of HER.”

Once women are successful, we tear them down by saying they aren’t nice, or they are funny looking, or their skills are overrated. We do this to a lesser extent with men.