Why do people talk to themselves?

I suppose many people do this occasionally (especially when angry or suprised), but why do some people do it all the time?

I can only speak for myself, but I find it’s the most reliable way of having an intelligent conversation.

Who’s gonna argue with you???:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I talk to myself all the time, and once asked a counselor about it. Her opinion is that I talk to myself because there’s nobody else to talk to. The things to watch out for:

1. Actually having conversations with people you know aren’t there.
  2. Talking to yourself when there ARE other people there.
  3. Doing what the voices tell you to do.

Zoe, Zoe, Zoe – why can’t you think of anything clever to say?

It helps me organize my thoughts. Sometimes I work out what I plan to say to other people.

Sometimes it looks like I’m talking to myself, but I’m actually singing to myself (just very softly).

Sometimes I see people walking down the street talking to themselves but actually they’re just using one of those earpiece thingys for cell phones.

I once heard it said that a thought cannot be complete without verbal expression. I don’t know if that’s true, but I do know that when I really need to remember something, I’m more likely to remember it if I “tell myself” out loud, rather than just think it. It’s like hearing it sets it in my mind.

In some sports related activities, I talk to myself (or sing a very basic song like “row, row, row your boat” ) to make sure I’m not holding my breath.

I do sing to myself often… just to entertain myself.

I was just asking myself that question.

To hear themselves think?

[sub]<to make sure they got it right>[/sub] Sometimes people sorta rehearse what they want to say before they actually say it. Just to be sure they got it right, I guess. Like a mental “Preview Reply”.
Peace,
mangeorge

Also, this one of the tricks stutterers can use to say something without stuttering. I used to stutter, and would practice what I wanted to say first, then say it out loud in one long rush. Worked pretty good. The method is probably obsolete by now, though.

I couldn’t agree more.

I couldn’t agree more.

Somehow : processing a thought just doesn’t work the same if it is all done internally. I am a cronic self-conversationalist. I do make sure no-one ever sees or hears me do it. but there are times when I have not been paying enough attention to my outer world.