Why do some people (especially, it seems, men) hate cats?

**Guin ** Never fear. We live on 2.5 acreage. The dog poops in an area that we never frequent. So poop mulching isn’t visual or olfactorial problem, plus, it keeps away the deer from eating my garden.

Freaking bambi.

If I lived in the city, it would be different.

I’d have a cow. :slight_smile:

I’ve yet to run across a disloyal cat.
Now, people, on the other hand…

I would not have had a reason to get out of bed at certain points in the last few years, living in a new town with no friends at a job I hated, if it weren’t for my cats. They got me through a very dark period of my life. So I’m sorry, but I have to strenuously disagree with this.

Mine don’t. They certainly stink less than other people’s pets (read: certain dogs, who you can’t pet at all without your hand reeking of dog grease-- and I do like dogs, but not that aspect).

Well, this couldn’t be further from the truth. My cats come when I call their names, are affectionate and sweet. They are indoor cats, but when they have escaped, they always return, with a dead animal tithe to boot. They are excellent companions who hug and snuggle me and definitely more than reciprocate the love I give them. The fact that they aren’t affectionate to you doesn’t make them disloyal; it indicates that they have taste. :stuck_out_tongue:

Huh? I have never known my cats to be picky eaters (in fact, my cat Shadow has wider-ranging taste in food than my brother does), nor to eat vomit. Am I just lucky in this respect?

Dude, if you could do that, wouldn’t you be smug?

If you let them dry, they peel right off and barely leave a mark. :smiley:

IMHO, people who don’t like cats haven’t been around them that much, or the cats they have been exposed to are semi-feral or poorly socialized cats who aren’t very affectionate towards people. If you are around an animal that ran from you or hissed at you, wouldn’t you be disinclined to like them? They base their generalizations on a few brief encounters that aren’t pleasant, and decide that since cats don’t like them, they don’t like cats.

I have both cats and dogs, but I am a cat person at heart. Luckily my SO loves cats too (although he is more of a dog person), so it all works out.

Upon preveiw, I agree with Rubystreak’s comment about her/his cats getting her/him through some dark times in life - I have had the same experience. They are great companions, I don’t know what I’d do without them.

YEAH! Thats it! They’re too much like us men! :smiley:

Poision and glue traps are better mousers and don’t go after the quail population.

{Grabs nearby cat, brings up to nose, takes big whiff}
No they don’t. If anything, they smell rather good—especially considering they take care of their own personal hygeine.

This kind of thing drives me crazy. Why would anyone hate an animal? Fear, yes, but hate? Animals don’t choose their personalities, nor can they make reasoned decisions about appropriate behavior. Even cockroaches and fleas don’t deliberately set out to spread diseases and stuff. Hating animals is just not reasonable.

The reason why dogs got brought up is because people who say they hate cats generally say they like dogs. Naturally, dogs are more obedient, sociable, whatever, because they evolved as a pack animal. Cats evolved as solitary hunters. They can’t help their nature.

As for the “usefulness” argument against cats: since when do animals have to justify their existence to humans? A thing has to be useful to be loved? My cats don’t file my tax returns or take out the garbage or simonize my car, and I still love them.

My husband used to be a firm cat-hater. Yes, FIRM. For all the reasons cited above and then a few thousand more. He despised all of cat-kind.

Now we have four cats and he would drop dead if anything happened to any of them. He feeds them, takes them to bed with him when he’s on nights (hmmm…maybe I should worry about this) and treats them like visiting royalty. Which they are.

He worries about them if they go outside and will not leave until they’re back in before he has to leave. He makes them all call him “Daddy” and all of them (even Tommy, his favorite black lump of a feline) think he is their daddy.

I might oughta stop now. This is starting to get scary.

But I know what the OP is getting at. I’ve dated guys that really did hate cats (and weren’t too fond of any other animals, either, but hid it better). I am guessing they didn’t meet the right cats yet. Or the right woman/man to show them the error of their ways. Yeah…that’s probably it.

5 out of ten cats are really mean and they scratch you I hate the ones that scratch but other than that a nice one would make a great pet along with a Dog and Goldfish.

I don’t hate cats but I do prefer dogs. I like big happy dogs that I can take to the woods or the fields. They romp and their tongues hang out happily. My guy loves to go in the car and stick his big head out the window loving life. When I come home he is there wagging his tail and we talk and push each other around. I love the expressions dogs make with their ears, eyes and body. His eyes are so bright and excited when I pick up a tennis ball it just melts my heart. Cats usually go their own way, they are lovable but just not like a dog.

I miss my kitties :frowning:

Actually, cats bring you dead animals because they think you are unable to hunt for yourself :slight_smile:

I have been brought around to the ways of cats. I never used to like them until I met Tir, and have since developed a liking for them. they are great pets, very affectionate, and are possibly the most sarcastic animals in the world.

I don’t think I’ve ever admitted this before, but Cats are great.

I used to, well not hate, but dislike cats. And then I met Jane. He’s my little buddy. Now, we’ve gotten him a little sister, Great Whore Jezabel. She’s pretty hyper, but we think she’ll calm down with age. I hope.

Can’t say that I hate cats, I just don’t see why anyone would particularly like them. I have no desire for any pets.

Slight hijack here: people say this, but my cats know that I provide food for them, so I highly doubt that they think I can’t fend for myself. What they usually do it bite off the head, leave that for me, and eat/play with the rest of the body (this rarely happens, as my cats do not go outside except by accident, so the quail population is safe). It is my belief that they are sharing their kill with me out of respect.

I’m a guy, and I like cats. My favorite pet, ever, was a cat - abeit with doglike tendencies.

Most of the guys I’ve known who really hated cats were uber-macho, insecure, controlling types. I’ve concluded that they hate cats because cats make it very *clear * that they don’t need us. These guys just can’t stand something that small and seemingly helpless that refuses to suck up to them.

It may be a bit of both.
I don’t think it’s that your cat thinks you can’t provide food for yourself, it’s more that it regards you as being a hopeless hunter and is trying to teach you. :slight_smile:
Most animals kept as pets never really get out of the mental kitten or puppy stage. But cats have been shown to display “maternal” behaviour towards their humans. Presenting it’s owner with prey is one indication of this, another can be induced in most cats (even some males) by making a high pitched note. The cat interperates this as a kitten crying for help and will frequently rush over to you, meaow, purr and attempt to confort you - one cat I had would even try to pick me up and carry me to a safer location by trying to get hold of my “scruff”. Some cats will even react in the same way if you play a flute or a violin.

rimshotgdansk, Ragdoll cats are known to display very dog-like behaviour, to the point that you can train them to fetch you slippers! :smiley:

People who actively dislike cats, in my experience, are usually the ones who just can’t handle the cat attitude. You know, that air of “Fuck you and the horse you rode in on, buddy. No, scratch that part about the horse; you can have the horse’s share of fuck you, too.” All cats, even the most affectionate, get the attitude sometimes, even around their favorite people. It’s just the way they are. Cat people think it’s funny, and a lot of noncat people are indifferent to it, but it drives some people absolutely batshit, and those last folks are the ones who talk about how much they hate cats.

I hate people who make broad generalizations…