Why do white people like to eat bloody meat?

A properly done roast can be well done on the outside without being overcooked. At least, my mother did them that way and she was not one to use expensive cuts.

I think you bring it to room temperature, then put it in a very hot oven for a couple of minutes with the fat on top? Her roasts always had a rich fatty crust, tasty & well done edges, and a nice moist center. She made great stews, too.

Now I’m hungry.

Raw sliced sushi thin because it’s like the finest rare beef, except more tender and less stringy. Cook it and it might as well be Chicken of the Sea.

I always thought that the stereotype was uncultured, bland, white people from the Midwest or somewhere (not my opinion) who think fine cuisine involves Jell-o and who like their steaks burned to a crisp.

A couple years ago, the FDA relaxed their recommended pork temperatures, from 160F to 145F. This is the same temperature as beef, lamb, etc. Poultry is still recommended at 165.

That applies to less tender cuts of beef and pork, but the better ones, like steaks and tenderloins, are dried out and toughened by what I would call overcooking.

Semi-tough is wrong.

I mistakenly assumed that Lunch Friday and Dinner Saturday must be two separate photos. So I looked at the yummy fish, and then clicked to the next one to find . . . A CAT!?! It only took me a microsecond to realize what you meant, but it was a very BAD microsecond. LOL!

AS for the OP: I’m mostly Irish, and partly African-American. I like all meat well-done. Regardless of whether it’s mycoglobulin or whatever, the red stuff dripping out tastes like blood to me. I like the taste of seared meat, I don’t like the taste of blood. Having spent 18 years as a vegetarian, blood is not on my “yummy” list.

I’ve never heard of this preference being divided on race lines, and being a mixed family it’s the sort of thing we talk about a lot. But my Paternal Grandfather, who was 100% Irish, liked his meat well-done too. In fact, I’m pretty sure the English and Scottish are known for cooking their meat like southern greens.

This whole rare steak thing is really a fairly new idea. Sometime around the late 1960’s to early 1970’s, Americans got the idea that eating rare meat made you more “Continental” - which in those days meant you were sophisticated - which in those days was a good thing, not “bougie” - which is US slang for “Bourgeois” - which means “pretentiously upper-middle class” rather than “Middle Class” as it does in Europe*.Here are a couple of good links for you.
*This is exhausting!! :stuck_out_tongue:

My point was that my husband and I have very different tastes in meat. The meat that he likes best is overcooked to my palate. The meat that I like best is disgustingly undercooked to him.

I don’t think it’s about race, I think people just have different tastes, based partly on their genes and largely on their experiences.

The only uncooked blood I’ve ever tasted is my own, but it doesn’t taste all that much like meat juices, although you can sort of taste the iron in both. Of course, I don’t dislike the taste of (my) blood, either. The idea of eating blood is sort of gross, but I doubt the flavor is.

I can guarantee you that I don’t prefer rare (and yes, raw) meat because I think it makes me sophisticated. I’m pretty sure a lot of people think eating raw meat is disgusting and primitive. But you know what, I find it really really yummy. YMMV.

Because it tastes bloody good!

Which rural areas are these? I live in cattle country. Steak should be rare. I personally like medium rare, but most cattle ranchers I know just put it to the fire long enough to warm it up. Something like 3 minutes per side.

EW. But you get points for spelling grey correctly.

How do you know what blood tastes like? :dubious:

DORNTROlD!

I’m white and I like my steak rare or medium rare depending on the cut. Lamb should be medium. Why? Because the meat is more moist and juicy to me. I’ve eaten Steak Tartare a few times and find it very tasty if done well.

My mother who is also white and was raised on a farm in rural Australia during WWII likes her steak medium well done. She’s slowly came around from when I was a kid and steak needed to be burnt to the texture of shoe leather and all vegetables boiled until mushy and flavourless.

How do you not? As noted already, virtually all of us have at some point tasted our own. You can’t tell me you’ve never sucked on a finger after getting a papercut, or whatever. I disagree with the quote that says it tastes “of nothing” though. It has a bit of a salty and metallic taste.

And it tastes nothing like anything in any meat product you can buy in the civilized world. Let’s get past this dumb old trope of there being “blood” in meat, please.

Well done meat was a necessity when the nation’s meat supply was questionable. All of my older relatives insisted on well done meat.

There was a short period in the 60’s-mid 80’s when meat inspections ensured safe meat. A lot of families began eating rare or medium rare meats. Even steak tartare. my parents and I enjoyed medium rare steaks and medium roasts.

Thats all changed now. The meat supply has e coli and several bad recalls. Theres at least one E coli outbreak every year. I order my meat “medium well” now. I have for at least 15 years. Ever since the Jack in the Box deaths in the early nineties. Any burger that is pink gets rejected and I ask for a well cooked one.

nm

I think it’s a bit of a stretch to say that blood tastes ‘nothing like’ the juices of raw meat. It’s not exactly the same, but it’s fairly similar. (Mind you, that might just be my perception. When I eat eggs, I can taste that they came from a chicken)

The red juice that comes out of meat is (mostly) not blood, but it’s foolish to imagine that every last blood cell is somehow removed from meat at the slaughterhouse.
Capillary vessels are so small that blood cells have to go through them in single file, under pressure. They’re not all going to drain out. There is *some *blood in meat.

::cough:: never coming back to this thread ::cough cough cough::

Did people not read the OP? I swear, it’s like shooting fish in a barrel around here.

We know what is going on. Notice the distinct lack of actual reactions? Since I can’t say it here, just read my post in Martin Bigfoot’s thread. You can’t if you know what’s going on.

Anyways, I prefer my steak medium well to well done. You get down to medium and the texture isn’t like meat. It’s kinda squishy. That’s something I associate with food that has not been cooked all the way. The same feeling in chicken turns my stomach.

Heck, it’s why I didn’t like sushi the one time I tried it. Squishy means “not food” to me.

Eating rare hamburger is immensely more dangerous than eating rare steak. e coli lives in the gut, and can contaminate meat during slaughter. But it contaminates the surface, and only grows very slowly into the solid parts of the meat. Cooking the outside hot enough to kill e coli is usually adequate.

The issue with hamburger is that it is all surface. Any contamination on any part of the surface is mixed all through. And the larger the batch or burger made, the more risk that an inadequately cleaned steer is in that mix. I love rare meat. I prefer rare hamburger. But I cook my hamburger medium, even though I buy it from a place that makes small batches throughout the day. I’d cook an industrially produced patty (made in enormous batches) very well done.

Halfway, I’d say.